Spiral Binding of WT Publications

by POs Son 20 Replies latest jw friends

• POs Son
    POs Son

It seems that the Daniel book is due to be studied again, so says my JW parents. My father mentioned that he brought the book, presumably a 192 page soft cover book, to the local print shop to be spiral bound and have the covers laminated. I almost said, but bit my tongue, "Don't you suppose the Society could make a great income if they simply found a way to offer spiral binding and cover lamination for a fee?" I stopped short of making the discussion into one of supporting the JDub racket... but found it interesting that Dubs run out to have their "inspired" publications cut up and re-bound for study. Your thoughts?

• Scully
    Scully

My feeling is that the WTS doesn't really want JWs to be doing stuff like that. They actually encourage people to get brand new copies of the books they are planning to go over again in the Book Study, so that JWs won't get lazy with their previously underlined copies and forget to review the material.

The other side of the coin is that if you have people disposing of Old Light™ in that way, the subtle (and not-so-subtle) changes in the text aren't as easily noticed.

The new soft cover binding makes those books fall apart so easily - I'm sure that was a built-in Automatic New Light Updater™ design feature.

• Odrade
    Odrade

LOL! it's the popular thing to do. I remember the really gung-ho "spiritual" people all had their books spiral bound to make it easier to study (supposedly.) Personally, I liked them that way because it made it easier to not pay attention. You didn't have to hold the dang book open.
    Then the non-A-list dubs started doing it too. So the holier-than-thou types quit spiral binding their books and started squawking about "defacing the literature." geez. what a buncha wingdings.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

But what about the changes?

See this: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/93019/1.ashx

• TheListener
    TheListener

All the best dubs have their books spiral bound. The smart ones cut out the km schedule for the study and make it a laminated bookmark.

Seriously, it is a very popular thing to do. Although there isn't much room for spiral binding once the spine is cut off so it won't last forever (hehehehe).

• jgnat
    jgnat

Guys, guys, guys! You have me rolling on the floor! This is the stuff my JW hubby lives for! I am sure he secretly hopes that by getting these little details right, he will be fully accepted in to the club.

Here's another sideline item, very popular in our local congregation:

http://www.mckennabookcovers.com/dowloadables/daniel_bookmark.pdf

• TheListener
    TheListener

Oh yes. The friends are emailing those around already. But, they're no good unless you get it laminated.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Oh I used to love studying publications we'd studied before. I didn't have to read and underline a second time. In fact I didn't even go over it before the meeting. It was all done and I remembered a little of it from last time. The revelation books was such a snoozer. A whole book on patting themselves on the back about how wonderful and anointed they were and we should listen to them. Oh we used to get excited about new style book bags, or new little things for our preachings work. So bizarre looking back on it. This having the study books cut down and put in spiral book form is down right funny.

Now I read much more interesting books like

Who Wrote the New Testament? : The Making of the Christian Myth

by Burton Mack

WTS publications are boring to point of mind numbing compared to secular books.

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

The org needs to invent and sell some kind of magic "kingdom-underlining-pen" which gradually disappears over a number of months, so that when books are re-studied, you have to re-underline your answers.

ig.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Hey good idea. Perhaps they could do that with the text in the book itself. Then they'd have fewer new light problems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit