Idiot Witnesses

by RichieRich 49 Replies latest jw friends

• doogie
    doogie

shoot...it's not just the witnesses. i read today that 52% of americans think that the sun revolves around the earth and don't know how long 1 revolution takes.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    shoot...it's not just the witnesses. i read today that 52% of americans think that the sun revolves around the earth and don't know how long 1 revolution takes.

Where did you read this? Fun to have read this... Danny

• rebel8
    rebel8
    "Jehovah has set the sun's orbit so that it is close enough to keep up warm and happy year round."

I guess he forgot about NY. I am not warm and happy all year round.

My dad used to use this reasoning to - that we are exactly the right distance from the sun so that we don't freeze or burn and that was evidence of God's love and proof of creation.

Call me ungrateful, but I think evidence of love requires a tad more than just failing to kill us off.

• doogie
    doogie
    Where did you read this? Fun to have read this...

this was in carl sagan's Demon Haunted World. he wrote it in 97 or 98 so the figures may be a little dated.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

hmm, thanks. I know that there is a society trying to prove that the sun turns around the earth scientifically. Sort of super-creationists.

p.s. Carl Sagan is often quoted by the WTS. Always out of context, as he is one of the strongest believers in evolution.

• blondie
    blondie

A sister told me about a talk she attended in another congregation, small town, hicksville. The speaker talked about the caveman days talking about how men and women interacted. In the words of one poster on JWD, she almost spit her Mountain Dew on the computer screen.

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/archive/200409/21/20040921p2a00m0dm006000c.html

Over 40 percent of elementary school children in Japan think the sun revolves around the earth, a shocking survey conducted by officials at the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan has found.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2004_11/005208.php

Maybe so, but on the scale of human ignorance, is it really that bad? After all, according to an NSF survey done in 2001, 25% of Americans think the sun goes around the earth. That's depressing.

In the book HUBBLE WARS, author Eric J. Chaisson refers to studies of a government survey which show that ??nearly 30 percent of adult U.S. citizens think that the SUN REVOLVES AROUND the EARTH?. He p oints to another study which indicates that?an additional 28 percent do not know that it takes one year for our planet to orbit the Sun?. While these are sad statistics, they can be changed through education.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    p.s. Carl Sagan is often quoted by the WTS. Always out of context, as he is one of the strongest believers in evolution.

LOL! really? cool...

from AlanF:

http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/sagan.htm

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I just found it funny that this Brother was SO wrong and SO sure of himself. It also pisses me off because someone will quote him verbatim at a door or worse yet, in school.

It's funny. They're hurting themselves.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    The best is when you hear Witnesses try to refute evolution by saying "Well they still havent found the missing link" or " Then why arent there prehistoric ape-men walking around today? That's so dumb."

Sounds like they are saying that unless something is documented by western civilization it cannot exist.

I wonder if they have any thorough documentation on the existence of gawd.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Astronomer Carl Sagan said of nuclear war: ``There is little question that our global civilization would be destroyed.

Carl Sagan, in his book <i>C<i>o<i>s<i>m<i>o<i>s<i>, candidly acknowledged: ``The fossil evidence could be consistent with the idea of a Great Designer.''--(New York, 1980), p. 29.<par>

Here two quotes from Sagan in recent publications. Found more then 20 quotes.

It really disturbs me that they quote somebody like that.

Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit