Idiot Witnesses

by RichieRich 49 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Last night, a brother gave a talk, and referenced the sun. In his talk he said two very interesting things:

"The largest star in the universe, the sun provides light to the farthest reaching corners of our galaxy."

And to top it off,

"Jehovah has set the sun's orbit so that it is close enough to keep up warm and happy year round."

I was laughing so hard, I had to walk out to the parking lot.

This guy obviously put his foot in his mouth .

Anyone ever do it at your hall? God- It's fine they only want to use Awakes to for scientific facts- but they can't misquote and even make up stuff.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    "Jehovah has set the sun's orbit so that it is close enough to keep up warm and happy year round."

My dad used to use this reasoning to - that we are exactly the right distance from the sun so that we don't freeze or burn and that was evidence of God's love and proof of creation.

• carla
    carla

Was this just his own stupid blunder or is it in some sort of outline or something that they are supposed to follow? thanks, carla

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Carla, it was his blunder. Even the society knows it was bull.

Crumpet- It's not the suns distance, he said the sun;s ORBIT. It doesn't orbit.

And now, here;s Tetrapod with a link to some site that says why....

• susu812
    susu812

lol i know what talk/example you are talking about--the universe. my dad uses it in one of his public talks!! everyone uses the same ones over and over and over.....

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Damn. I don't even know where to start on that one.

When I was a kid and we were going through the "Creation" book the conductor pointed out a picture of our galaxy and referred to it as "our solar system". I could not help myself, I just had to correct him... I raised my hand and said that it was not the solar system, but was the galaxy. To give everyone a sense of scale, I added that each white dot in the picture of the galaxy represented about 1000 stars... and if you wanted to see our sun in the picture you would have to expand the picture to the size of Texas and then look at it with a microscope. THAT is how big our galaxy is.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

"The largest star in the universe, the sun provides light to the farthestreaching corners of our galaxy."

Wow, thats why I hate going to meetings. Just think how many other witnesses will just take his comments at face value and never really educate themselves. We'd be burnt to a crisp if the sun was that large!

M'

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

My point is that he made 3 FALSE statements. Direct Misquotes.

And yes, that is a rather washed up illustration.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

LOL richie!

Anyone ever do it at your hall?

of course. these are people who didn't go to university, and work as janitors. their only source of info is full of dis-honest mined quotes that are only ever used to support their rigid beleif system. they have no concept of scientific method. they don't know "a fallacy from a blow job". so ,yes, it happens in all congregations, i would venture. the society is science dumb, and so are their followers. and then they get mad when someone grows a brain and calls them on it. scientific knowledge is not encouraged in the truth. as a wit, just to get anywhere close to science, i had to become a programmer so at least i could be around logic.

else,

that was awesome.

• luna2
    luna2

God, Richie, that's a riot! At least you got a good laugh out of it.

I wonder if I would have caught it? I would often zone out during talks and all I could remember afterwards was a weird honking noise coming from the platform...kind of like the adults talking in a Charlie Brown cartoon on TV.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit