Chilling story-Is this a California Thing?

by CaptainSchmideo 15 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/17/fresno.murders.ap/index.html

Why does this crap seem to thrive in California? Is it something in the water?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

God this just makes me sick. Does Cali have the death penalty? I sure hope so - only if he can put in a communal area of prison for a few months first so he can see what its like to be raped repeatedly, humiliated and treated worse than an animal.

• La Capra
    La Capra

California does have the death penalty. Two high profile cases of which you may be aware was the brutal abduction, rape and murder of young Polly Klaas, by Richard Allen Davis. Davis was sentenced to death. More recently, Mark Peterson was sentenced to death after his conviction of murdering his wife Lacy, and their unborn son. As you can see, the death penalty is not the deterent it is intended to be in preventing these heinous, evil, awful crimes. Shoshana

• blondie
    blondie

Father convicted of murdering 9 of his children

FRESNO, California (AP) -- Marcus Wesson, the domineering patriarch of a clan bred through incest, was convicted Friday of murdering nine of his children, whose bodies were found in a bloody pile last year at the end of a police standoff.

Wesson's conviction on nine counts of first-degree murder makes him eligible for the death penalty. He also was found guilty on all 14 counts of raping and molesting seven of his underage daughters and nieces.

The jurors started deliberations on June 2, ultimately deciding that Wesson himself pulled the trigger.

The defense had argued that Sebhrenah Wesson, 25 -- the oldest to die -- killed herself as well as her siblings and the 1-year-old son she had with her father.

Many of Wesson's surviving family members still support him, and stifled sobs as a clerk read the verdicts. Wesson himself remained quiet and still.

Several witnesses testified that Wesson had repeatedly coached the children to be ready to kill each other and themselves if authorities ever threatened to break up the clan.

The prosecution said Wesson had plenty of time to shoot his children during the 80-minute standoff with police on March 12, 2004. He had closed himself in a back bedroom with the victims, keeping out mothers whose attempt to get their children out of the home had prompted the police standoff.

Prosecutor Lisa Gamoian said in closing arguments that even if Sebhrenah Wesson did pull the trigger, Marcus Wesson should still be found guilty if he encouraged her to kill them, or was part of a conspiracy that led to their slaughter.

The verdict read by the court clerk said the panelists concluded he fired the murder weapon.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved

• upside/down
    upside/down
    the death penalty is not the deterent it is intended to be

I STRONGLY disagree.

u/d (of the fears death class)

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

yes upside down, but even if there wasn't a death penalty you'd surely be deterred from murder?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Ah well California does have great tap water. Maybe it's the floridation?

Josie ~ missing the great cali water, cant get used to the chlorine smell in the water here in Indy

• Robdar
    Robdar
    As you can see, the death penalty is not the deterent it is intended to be in preventing these heinous, evil, awful crimes.

Hmmm, I never knew that the death penalty was meant to be a deterrent. I thought it was for punishment. As far as preventing murder, I promise you, those executed will never kill again. Not in this life anyway.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Rodbar- I agree... who gives a shiite about deterrence... that only works for law abiding people. A lock only keeps the normally honest person honest...Crooks could care less.

Another benefit... is you remove the deviant from the gene pool... thus less little deviants. Very "evolutionary".

u/d (I'll probably ending up getting "the chair" someday class)

• jula71
    jula71
    As you can see, the death penalty is not the deterent it is intended to be in preventing these heinous, evil, awful crimes.

That's a joke. If the penalty was carried out, it would be a deterrent. Since 1977, 630 have been sentenced to death in Cal. It has been carried out 10 times. Those on death row will die of old age before any sentence is carried out, they know that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit