When I was a kid, I didn't want to be a JW.

by kwintestal 19 Replies latest jw friends

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I agree with Mrs Jones5, it made me feel like some kind of monster, freak. As I got older, I'd participate in the things we were told not to. I'd end up getting busted by another JW child.

• Texas Flood
    Texas Flood

I didn't really mind when I was a kid. I guess since most of my friends were thier and stuff. I usually felt apathetic when it came to holidays and things like that. Although I did miss out on a lot of parties :-(. Things definantly would've been differently have what I know now and what I knew then.

• delilah
    delilah

I was 10 when my parents became JW's and it was definitely hard.. I was also embarrassed to tell anyone my religion...and I had trouble giving up the holidays, My artwork always had christmas lights and trees and presents in them...and mom would say, "now Dee, we don't celebrate any more, you can't draw pics like these." Eww, I hated the new religion.....and I knew also that I would change my ways eventually....

Delilah

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

Hated being a JW as a kid. Wanted sooo bad to be in the classroom with the others.

I spent many hours in the library, was a big nerd who read books to take me away from everything.

I had told my mom since I was 13, I'm not staying here (She moved us from Pontiac, MI to Rural WV, talk about culture shock!)

I wish I could go back and say to my teachers "But I want to stay for the valentines!" I always got a few, anyways :)

• Honesty
    Honesty

I wasn't a JW then but the rents were under the control of the World Wide Church of God and Armstrongism had them captured as well as the WTBTS captures it's victims. No holidays, no Christmas joy, No worldly friends. Imagine having to tell your 3rd Grade teacher that you were going to Passover and the days of Unleavened bread, Pentecost and the Feast of Tabernacles; and why you couldn't eat on the Day of Atonement. Every apocalyptic cult on earth is so destructive to children.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

i felt superior and lucky in a weird way... i remember at a young age calculating the odds of being born into a religion that (at that time) had only 3 million members, compared to their being about 5 billion people in the world. i felt like i had won some kind of religious lottery. i was glad that i would make it through armageddon, when so many people would be killed. this being said, i still felt like an outcast and that i missed out on a lot. but to me it was worth it for the benefits i would receive. i still would not change anything about my life, but i'm glad i realised that it's not the truth when and how i did.

am i weird???

I A N Y B M

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

i want out of this religion soooooo bad...my parents are still making me go and they will make attend the meetings down where i'm going to college at. i really really REALLY hate this religion. i use to be so embarrassed of admitting my religion at school, but now i don't care b/c i dont believe in it, so i tell everyone. atleast i get sympathy.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I was thrilled to be a witness. I couldn't believe my good fortune at being born into the truth and not having to suffer all the problems and issues that worldly people dealt with.

It wasn't until I was older that I realized I was more interested in the social aspects than the religious beliefs. Once I got older and my social calendar became more and more empty I began to focus on the beliefs and judge them on their own merit.

and here I am.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I always wanted to celebrate christmas & birthdays and just hang out and not worry about field service - but then just kinda accepted it until now.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    i felt superior and lucky in a weird way... i remember at a young age calculating the odds of being born into a religion that (at that time) had only 3 million members, compared to their being about 5 billion people in the world. i felt like i had won some kind of religious lottery. i was glad that i would make it through armageddon, when so many people would be killed.

Ya, this is exactly what i used to think. I felt lucky that out of all the billions of people in the world that it was ME that was born into it. I felt fortunate not to have got into drugs and prostitution and stuff....

Then, as a teenager i thought, "hang on, its only a minority of worldly people which are into drugs and prostitution". I began to realise that there were some nasty pieces of work in the congregation and most people in the world weren't wicked and satanic. Those thought were somewhat quelled by talks about how "even if worldly people seem nice and moral, they still haven't really got God's view on morality".

The social aspect of being a JW didn't attract me at all. In fact it annoyed me to be disturbed to go to yet another gathering held by my parents' pioneer friends and have to do "guess which bible character's name is stuck to your forehead using yes-or-no questions" and other "wholesome bile bible-based quizes"... (I always won those, i knew more bible characters than any of the elders and pioneers).

To show you how "spiritual" and theocratic my family was, my mother died when i was 4 years old. At the funeral, my father left halfway through the "reception" and went on the ministry to "cope". He said that he felt better sharing "the hope" with others, than having people at the reception feel sorry for him and his 4-yr-old son.

My grandmother and some people in the congregation have told me that he never got an opportunity to mourn. My dad re-married some time later (to ANOTHER "pie-in-ear") and he just became even more cold, logical and legalistic.

I never had any time for myself. As soon as school was over on Tuesdays and Thursdays, i had a couple hours to do my homework then off to the theocratic ministry school and service meeting or the book group. Home from the meeting, straight to bed. Then Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings, bible reading, preparing the book for the group and family study...... I never had a lie-in. Saturday morning 8 o'clock, street witnessing. Join the group for ministry at 10. House-to-house until 12. Join another family for the Watchtower pre-study in the evening. Sunday 10 o'clock public talk and Watchtower study. Then wholesome association. Ministry straight after the meeting from 1 to 3. Dad's personal study with me from the YPA book in the afternoon. Daily text every evening after dinner. Go on an evening return visit or bible study with my parents on the weekend...... As you can see all the days of the week were jam-packed with "theocratic activities".

I started to turn the original thought the other way, out of all the billions of people, why was i born into this regime? WHY ME??? Am i the only person who feels like this? All i see are happy faces, i have a fake happy face too, i wonder how many smiles out there are fake? none of them? all of them?... i was so afraid of looking at "apostate" material or looking for information of the WT on the internet. I really thought it was the truth, but i thought "if this is what Paradise is gonna be like, i'd prefer to die in armageddon".

The only thing that kept me mentally glued to the WTS for a while was the thought that "What if im wrong and Jehovah's day comes 2moro?... What if all this is true, and my mother wakes up in the resurrection and doesn't see me there? How is she going to cope?" That thought still goes vaguely through my mind sometimes even though i don't believe in any of the teachings of the JWs anymore. It was just ingrained deeply into me as a child. Inculcation is indoctination.

All in all, im kind of glad to have gone through all of that so that i can actually appreciate real life and freedom, but i still notice thought-patterns that originate from the WTS that im trying to stamp out.

*My aunt left the "troof" as a teenager in 1975, but my father stayed on. My aunt's daughter Zadie Smith who was born in 1975, wrote a book called "White Teeth", which is kind of semi-autobiographical. My cousin was never brought up as a witness (and we haven't really been in touch because of the WT Society's expert ability at breaking up families). She therefore has a limited perspective, and it doesn't have a lot to do with my experience, but you may be able to see a bit of what my father's side of the family was like back in those days, from my aunt's perspective. (Buy it, pleeeease... bit of nepotistic advertising there, lol.)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0375703861/qid=1120659969/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-9738198-0110546

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit