Please advise.

by embalmed 39 Replies latest jw friends

• embalmed
    embalmed

Right. After years of waiting, I finally turned 18. I remember distinctly that my mother said during an argument that I would not have to attend meetings once I turned 18. Well that was a lie. She denied ever having said such, and pulled the "under my roof" card. So now she is saying I have to continue attending meetings until I move out. This is getting ridiculous. I posted here two and a half years ago asking for advice, and here I am again. What would be the best course of action? Do I just put my foot down and tell her I am not going anymore? Or do I put up with the agonizing boredom until I move out? I hate to strain our relationship any more than it already is, and I'm not sure how long it will take her to get over it. But I have discovered that her primary concern is how other people in the congregation will view her (i.e. as a failure of a parent). Is there any way I could play off of this? Any advice is welcomed.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Start saving and planning to get out of the house.

Meanwhile, find ways to miss most of the meetings.

Get a job that often schedules you on meeting nights and especially Saturday mornings. Develop allergies and chronic fatigue. Oh yeah and be sure to develp severe clinical depression. I mean, don't really develop these. Just pretend. Make sure you come down with vomiting and fever type illnesses just before or during the conventions. Hey, I'm serious. Play on the motherly sympathy. Get your mother feeling for you.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Having a job that keeps you busy until 7pm can help ALOT.
    Colleges have night classes.
    There are few 17/18 year olds here going thru the same thing as you. We hear from them almost daily. Some days are harder than others but if she's making meeting attendance a condition of support, you may have to suck it up.
    Start saving your money so you can get out on your own soon.

Are you still in school? Planning on going to college??
    Will your parent(s) help you pay for college?

-Aude.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Go to the meetings. Make sure everybody there knows you're only going because your mother is forcing you.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Start asking the kinds of questions that they don't have answers for. Study the subjects well, so that you really know your stuff & even have the appropriate literature in your bag. Get some tips from Blondie before the WT.

Don't do this at home, do it at the KH & BS.

You will soon be branded Bad Association.

Then stick with your mother like glue while at the meetings. She will be avoided too.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Or do I put up with the agonizing boredom until I move out?

Face it. Her roof, her rules. Nobody likes it, but that's how you got to do it. Start planning. We can do it.

There are few 17/18 year olds here going thru the same thing as you. We hear from them almost daily.

That's me.

<------------- 805 baby!

• zagor
    zagor

So what else are you doing in your life? Planning to go to college??? Working???

• Honesty
    Honesty

Tell the elders that you have never believed the WTS Governing Body were appointed by Jesus because of the failed prophecies, flip flops, shunning policy, etc. Tell them, No, I don't need a bible study or any of your so-called sheparding calls. Tell them you know it is all a lie and the only reason you're at the meetings is because of control tactics from your Mom. Hide a mini cassete recorder on your person and record ALL of the conversations. When the dipshit elders tell your Mom to evict you then you have legal grounds to sue them individually. The WTBTS will quickly deny knowing their names and then maybe your Mom will see the truth about the demonised cult.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I guess Bethel Service is out of the question?

I can be such an ass sometimes. :)

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

My first three kids were boys all 14 months apart. One by one, as they graduated from High School, they moved out and got their own places. They never attended the meetings again, so it ended any arguements along that line!

They all ended up moving back to where they were born and mostly raised....out of state, so the whole WTS and meetings thing was done with!

Wishing you the best,

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit