The Atheist's Book of Bible Stories - Ch. 1 - In the Beginning

by RunningMan 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Sonnyboy

Either that or you missed the structural pattern of the creation days: days # 1, 2, 3 set up the frames by separating the primordial elements, day # 4, 5, 6 fill /populate them

1. Light-Day / Darkness-Night 4. Sun / moon-stars

2. Waters above-heaven / Waters beneath-sea 5. Birds / fish

3. Earth / vegetation 6. Earthly animals / man

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

RunningMan, that is really good. A theological Bill Bryson perhaps?

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

That could be, Narkissos, but RunningMan made a good point about plants being created before the sun. Can you explain that one, especially if the JW's "1 day = 1000 years" theory is true?

It says that God created light on day one. Or does that mean he was just thinking about creating it?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Sonnyboy,

My remark was literary, not scientific. I meant to point out the inner "logic" of the story (which by the way implies literal days each made of one night and one day, one evening and one morning).

This is completely unrelated to the actual origins and development of the universe, the solar system, the earth etc. as modern science attempts to describe.

We view the sun as the source of (earthly) light. The text depicts the sun as the householder of day. God first creates the house of light, calls it "day" and only later puts a "sun" in it. That's the same pattern going on throughout the chapter.

As a side comment, it's interesting that in this pattern vegetation belongs to the frame and not to the inhabitants. There is no notion of vegetal life. The sun, moon and stars are more "personal" than the trees and plants, and this of course reflects earlier Near East concepts.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    (Did God invent the sword?)

Actually God invented the light saber.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

nice!

you touched on everything that gave me cause to pause growing up. it was great to read it!

Surprisingly, the fact that she has just conversed

with a snake does not cause her to pause. She focuses on what the snake has said.

LOL!
  • MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

FANTASTIC...why didn't I notice this sooner?!? Great piece of work.

~Merry

Being from rural Idaho and a bit backwards, I read chapter 2 first, of course, which led me here...Looking forward to chapter 3!!!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yet again brilliant - can not wait until chapter 4

• Puternut
    Puternut

Not only does 'HE' tempt the first innocent couple, but makes no real effort to clean up a mess that basically started in the 'heavens'. And makes humans responsible for cleaning up his own mess. He simply ousts the trouble where he lives and transports that to the earth (evidently his garbage can)

Adam, though created in 'god's' image is not blessed with the gift of writing either. Not even Noah who constructed an ark with precise calculations is unable to write about his own events. It is not until centuries later that Moses is given this assignment.

He now appoints judges, kings, and prophets and simply declares war on all the other nations. Plunder, rape, and mayhem is now allowed by the offspring of 'innocent' people. But neither his Son or any other 'assigned' people are able to clean up this creators mess.

New laws such as; no masturbation or oral sex are allowed. But child molestation is something we have to 'wait' on him for?

Elders who are 'appointed', are responsible for keeping everything clean, but when they do they stab you in the back with their 'spiritual knife', and label you as apostate.

So, how is it that are we to serve this god. I am very confused.

• Daunt
    Daunt

Excellent read. Another thing that's always got me thinking is, why would God put human kind under such a punishment when our original parents didn't know ANYTHING about morality. They were never punished, they never felt bad conciquences with anything, and it's kind of hard to understand the concept of death when you've never saw it before. This is like holding a peice of candy infront of a baby and then wooping the baby if the baby takes it. Just farfetched to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit