Exploitation of brothers & sisters

by LouBelle 18 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

In the past I visited bethel and got to 'tour' around. Here men & women worked their asses off every single day - a full 8 & 1/2 hours a day. They had to make sure they were up at the crack of dawn to attend the reading of the day text. On some evenings, other than meeting nights they had to attend preparing for the watchtower or do bible reading. They were also assigned to congregations in the surrounding areas & had to travel to these. Were expected to go on field service every weekend.

And they were payed such a little for their services - barely covering their petrol or toiletrie expenses. This is in effect exploitation of labour. Exploitation of people. I mean if these were people working in a normal comapny something would have been said - some stink would have been made.

Is it because they volunteer for this???? But even still - suerly there is a minimum wage or salary that they should get that is livable?

I was reading in Crisis of Conscience that @ bethel they were getting paid $14 - I'm sure it's gone up since then but it blows my mind that these people give so much, are expected to function normally at the end of an 8 1/2 hour day, still go to all meetings, fieldies, preparation, whatever other bethel service they had to do.

So are there any ex Bethelites that would like to share their stories???? Or any other comments about this to enlighten my wee mind. Would be great.

• zagor
    zagor

it is called sweatshop or per www.dictionary.com online dictionary:

factory where workers do piecework for poor pay and are prevented from forming unions.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The point is that they have volunteered for this work after having been duped by the WTS into thinking that an overabundant reward will be given from Jehovah himself in due time because slaving away for the org is equivalent to slaving away for jehovah. Since the dawn of history religions are good at making slaves out of people.

The society is certainly rich enough to pay something reasonable but tightfistedness and meanness are deeply ingrained in this org at top level and further down.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Oh yes,

There are so many rules there too. They even teach you how to brush your teeth properly without messing up the mirror and sink. Isn't that sad.Then there is so much control that it is almost unthinkable of not giving some comments or forgetting to prepare a meeting (or bible reading, daily text etc)

But it is almost the top that you can reach and they have many more applications then they can fill in. People are eager to work there.

On the other side there is some (controlled) fun there too. And most seem to be very happy there.

The way that Bethel itself handles the applications is very disturbing though. You never hear something if you are not selected. And when you are selected they tell you a few weeks in advance that you are expected at that date. Whatever other oblications you have (house, work etc) they do not seem to care at all.

Danny

• greendawn
    greendawn

Something that makes them want Bethel service is because they become Bethelites and that gives them status in the eyes of the congo.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I actually think that more then half of them do it for the love of God. They really want to serve and give whatever they can...

• greendawn
    greendawn

They may genuinely believe that they serve God, but serving this org is in fact serving Satan once we take note of the harm it has been causing to its followers blood doctrine, broken families etc

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    They may genuinely believe that they serve God, but serving this org is in fact serving Satan once we take note of the harm it has been causing to its followers blood doctrine, broken families etc

Well that does not make them bad, just misguided.

• rebel8
    rebel8

It's just like any other commune I've ever heard of. Work your butt off for the group, live on the premesis, and constantly brainwash yourselves.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Sounds like a version of prison.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit