List Your Favorite Foreign (non-American) Films Here!

by Funchback 56 Replies latest social entertainment

• Netty
    Netty
    Life is Beautiful. This one is Italian, and it's actually better to watch it in Italian and read the subtitles- the dubbed English version loses something, IMO. The ending always makes me cry, which I hate to do, but this movie is just that beautiful.

YAY!! This gets my vote. I also cried like a baby during this movie!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I like Melody, sometimes called With Love, Melody, a British film from the early 70s. Andy ordered it from a guy in China for me off ebay. I have it on DVD now. My grandparents took me to see it in Atlanta at the Fox Theater when I was 12 or 13. The soundtrack is all Bee Gees except for Teach Your Children Well by CSN& Y. Mark Lester and Jack Wilde from Oliver star in it. It's a delightful charmer.

I like Aguirre: The Wrath of God and Werner Herzog's other films.

I like The Chalk Garden. I am assuming it's a British film with John and Hayley Mills and Deborah Kerr.

I love a lot of the 60s British mod films such as Georgy Girl and Alfie. Help! and A Hard Day's Night.

I love Muriel's Wedding from Australia. I love the movie Walk About also from down under. Werner Herzog made a movie in Australia called Where The Green Ants Dream that was wonderful. My family loves the movie Archer with a small part played by a younger Nicole Kidman.

• scotsman
    scotsman
    Red (Pretty dark haired girl who I am too lazy to look up)

Irene Jacob - and how meltingly beautiful she is. My nominees for fav. foreign films (avoiding repeats) are:
    Wong Kar Wei - In the Moof for Love (Hong Kong) Michael Hanecke - Funny Games (Germany) Fridrik The Fridrikson - Cold Fever (Iceland) Zhang Yimou - Not One Less (China) Abbas Kiarostami - Through the Olive Trees (Iran) Mike Leigh - Secrets & Lies (England) Ray Lawrence - Lantana (Australia) Walter Salles - Central Station (Brasil) Sally Potter - Orlando (England) Nikita Mikhalkov - Burnt by the Sun (Russia) Lars von Trier - Breaking the Waves (Scotland) Atom Egoyan - Exotica (Canada)

• wunce_wuz
  • Preston
    Preston
    Beautiful Thing

Evil Force, I hate to say it, but I woulda liked it more without that blasted Mama Cass Soundtrack! The gay bar scene in the movie mirrored my first experience.

- Preston

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Chrissy - I love Habla Con Ella too - especially that totally beautiful B&W scene with the tiny little man.

I am also into Korean horror under the Asia extreme label - especially A Tale of Two Sisters and The Audition

Battle Royal - a shocking violent futuristic Japanese version of Lord of the Flies

Malena - which I only watched recently starring Monica Belucci sporting with my favourite composer for the film score - Ennio Morricone

Brotherhood of the Wolf - excellent French horror

He Loves me He Loves me Not - French psychological thriller starring Audrey Tatou - its like the dark side of Amelie if you there were to be an alternative ending.

I'm only new to the joys of foreign movies - so thats all I can think of thus far!

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Crumpet

Im with you on the Japanese extreme Films .Battle Royale was absolutely fantastic...no.2 wasnt quite as good but still ok.

Audition is a fine film.As is Boiling point.I like the Gonin Films too.

A great German Film was Tin Drum made in the 70,s .

Thesis a very good Spanish whodunnit...

Also Soldier of Orange from the Netherlands.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

fleaman uk

always pleased to find a horror afficianado. my other half can't stand them - I feel he might be a bit more apreciative if he concentrated a little more on the female leads esp in the Jap/Korean movies.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Hey fleaman uk,

A great German Film was Tin Drum made in the 70,s .

Another film I adored when it was new - and I was a jaydub at the time, still devout, even!!! But then, I had adored the book - the parts I actually understood - when I read it in my early teens.

Netty, I also liked Life is Beautiful, when I finally got around to seeing it. The title plus the concentration-camp setting put me off; it would be such an easy theme to do badly. All the backstory was great, too; by the time the family was actually picked up by the Nazis you could see why the hero reacted the way he did - it was perfectly natural to him.

gently f eral

• hemp lover
    hemp lover
    Lars von Trier - Breaking the Waves (Scotland)

Yes, yes, yes. That one really got to me. Everything Chrissy said plus Like Water for Chocolate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit