List Your Favorite Foreign (non-American) Films Here!

by Funchback 56 Replies latest social entertainment

• Funchback
    Funchback

I hope this thread receives a lot of responses. Not because I am egotistical. Rather, because I love foreign films.

Heck, really, I like any sort of film.

But, I'll get it started:

City of God (Brazilian) - Cidade de Deus (2002).

Cidade de Deus (City of God) is a housing project built in the 1960's that--in the early 80's--became one of the most dangerous places in Rio de Janeiro. The tale tells the stories of many characters whose lives sometimes intersect. However, all is seen through the eyes of a singular narrator: "Rocket", a poor black youth too frail and scared to become an outlaw but also to smart to be content with underpaid, menial jobs. He grows up in a very violent environment. The odds are all against him. But "Rocket" soon discovers that he can see reality differently than others. His redemption is that he's been given an artist's point of view as a keen-eyed photographer. As "Rocket" is not the real protagonist of the film--only the narrator--he is not the one who makes the decisions that will determine the sequence of events. Nevertheless, not only his life is attached to what happens in the story, but it is also through "Rocket's" perspective of life that one can understand the complicated layers and humanity of a world, apparently condemned to endless violence.

Based on a true story, this movie is graphicly violent and filled with profanity, along with brief nudity.

After the movie ends, continue to watch the credits. You will see real photos of the people whom the characters were based on, and, you will even see an interview of the real "Knockout Ned".

• lawrence
    lawrence

I keep going back to Kurosawa's 'Seven Samurai'.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The Pillow Book
    (Peter Greenaway)

• avishai
    avishai

Nosferatu (Germany) the original, not the remake, Metropolis, 1926.Also german.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

Artemisia...

a film based on the life of Artemisia Gentileschi..(spelling is probably wrong)i found her self portrait on line at the web gallery of art.. one of my favorite websites http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/s/solimena/ and thought wow..something about her reminded me of ME.

and then a few months later i happen across this film and omg its the artist i like! and wow at her story.

it was neat to find her work, then neat to see a movie based on it. (i'm a total art retard so i had no idea when i admired her work that there was a film based on her) so seeing the movie, her place in art history as the first woman commisioned by the church to work on frescos , was interesting to say the least.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I can't remember the name, but it's a Scottish film about a boy who gets mixed up with organized crime and ends of stabbing his best friend. I only saw it once and couldn't understand half of what was said (the accents are very thick), but it kept my interest. The acting was exceptional.

I also liked an Irish film about two guys who sold toupees and had a run in with the IRA (don't know the name of that one either).

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

The Motorcycle Diaries

(and i know it's american [oww!! {slap on wrist}] but, Hotel Rwanda changed my life)

• chrissy
    chrissy

I second the Motorcycle diaries.. heck it is still in subtitles... I think it is valid.

Amelie (french)

A Very Long Engagement (Audrey Tatou from Amelie was also in this war time epic...visually stunning)

The Sea Inside (just saw a few days ago...highly recommend)

Y tu mama tambien (slightly naughty)

Amores Perros (so good)

Bad Education (classic film noir)

Ouw ouw... and my favorite foreign movie of all time..."Talk to her" see this one if nothing else.

• chrissy
    chrissy

ok.. just one more I forgot...

Maria Full of Grace (South America)

...great flick about a young girl from poverty-stricken Colombia that takes a job as a drug trafficker into the U.S. One of those films you cannot get out of your head after seeing.

• G Money
    G Money

Motorcycle Diaries
    Longterm Engagement (France)
    Luther (UK & Germany?)
    Diario De Una Pasante (Spain)
    Conejo En La Luna (Mexico)
    Maria Full of Grace (Colombia but done by HBO)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit