Did anyone find the DC encouraging?

by sweet tee 29 Replies latest jw friends

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I remember on the last day of the assembly everyone would clap after the closing prayer. That was my favorite part. I clapped as well but for a different reason. I was glad it was over. I never felt encouraged.

• luna2
    luna2

When I first started going to these things I think my sons were 9 and 6. They were good kids, but it was still a challenge for us to make it through the days with our tempers intact. I certainly felt something when each day was over that I may have taken for encouragment. Looking back, I think the feeling was really a combination of relief that it was over and pride that we'd done it.

In later years, I couldn't even get a finish-line buzz out of the DC's. I'd feel tired, discouraged and beat down. The talks and experiences all seemed the same, and the convention themes appeared to recycle (with different wording) every few years so that you got this strange sense of déjà vu. Eventually, I started only attending on weekend days, then only the final day.....and then I didn't go at all.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Saying it was encouraging was a catch phrase you were expected to say. Not something you really felt. What was encouraging was chasing all the cute Witnesses around as a teen and catching a few from time to time.

• homesteader
    homesteader

I left DC's feeling exhausted (caring for 4 children), worthless (I was never doing enough) and guilt ridden. I always tried to take the children some place interesting like a beach or museum so they would have some fun on our "vacation" Don't miss them a bit.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I think it was the break in routine that was uplifting if anything. Different people prattling the same thing is still a change, and for many the chance to travel somewhere else and see those from other congregations that may have moved away. Plus there was always hype about the latest "new light" and a publication or two to placate the masses. All those experiences they spun so carefully especially the ones from foreign countries..

• freedom96
    freedom96

I never in my life felt encouraged by attending any assembly. The only thing enjoyable was visiting with friends and lunch time, which was always much too short.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I have a serious question.

Does anyone in the universe actually describe any experience whatsoever as "encouraging"? Seriously.

"How did you enjoy your vacation?" "Well, you know, I'd have to characterize it as really encouraging."

"Oh, you saw that new movie? How was it?" "It was totally encouraging!"

"Hey hey...back from the honeymoon, eh? How'd it go? You and your new bride have a good time?" "One word, my friend: encouraging." (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

I mean, seriously. The Witnesses make people use totally unnatural language. The purpose is to create people with a particular linguistic culture that is easily recognizable (for its manufactured peculiarity, not for its purity).

Sorry for the rant. To the topic at hand, no, I never found them enjoyable at all. I tried as hard as possible to enjoy them by listening with full attention, taking notes, and trying to somehow wring something new or interesting from the talks, and of course, when I would find some nugget that was mildly interesting or amusing, I would convince myself that I was really enjoying this fascinating program. And my friends would do the same. But I think everyone knew it was a farce. There is nothing remotely interesting or encouraging about those damn conventions, unless the high point of your year is getting your already-ultra-indoctrinated belief system reinforced a bit more.

I'll tell you what is encouraging: realizing that the whole thing is just a bad dream from which you can choose to wake up!

SNG

• luna2
    luna2

SNG, very true on the weird "language of the Dubs". It's pretty bizaar looking at it from the outside now. At the time I was immersed in Dub culture, I thought it was neato...we belonged to a special club with our own buzz words. ...which brings me back to the DC's (again...ugh. Wish I wasn't having trouble getting to sleep tonight! lol). I do remember feeling thrilled to be a member of such a extra special group. Even if it was a trial to get through the three or four days of the convention, there was as sense of belonging to something greater than mere humans could conceive of (I thought), a sense of combined purpose and a shared vision of the grand future awaiting obedient mankind (us). It was somewhat heady....while it lasted.

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

I used to find them as dull as ditchwater. I had to do anything to stop me from knawing my own hands off in boredom.

-

Ignored One.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    "Oh, you saw that new movie? How was it?" "It was totally encouraging!"

Good point seattle. I mean, if I went to a meeting here at work and I characterized it as encouraging afterwards, people would think that meant something was wrong and I felt better about it because of the meeting. If you're not discouraged to begin with, why call it encouraging? Maybe that's it. They are discouraged and need encouragement 3x a year...of course they need encouragement because Satan really gets them down with this old world, blahbetty blah blah blah.

Then again I hear born again Christians calling this and that "uplifting" and they mean the same thing. I have a little regurgitation when I hear either word.

But seriously, my honeymoon was encouraging, wink-wink, nudge-nudge.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit