Did anyone find the DC encouraging?

by sweet tee 29 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

The assemly talks were just as boring as the KH ones only the dramas were a somewhat colourful and as someone said the chance to see lots of pretty faces in the crowd.

The same mindset of dull speakers trying to make people feel guilty for not living up to WTS standards in a culture that doesn't care at all about helping the individual in any sense. So hypocritical.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo
    After I grew older, got married and had kids...and couldn't flirt with the ladies anymore...the Assemblies got downright tedious

Hey! Same here! Now it's just another one of those "have to" things that ranks with paying your taxes or visiting an unpleasant relative so that you keep your mate happy.

As far as the convention being "well organized", sorry, but I have to disagree. Back in the days of food service, I saw it as a case of two many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Once somebody hit that holy rank of elder, you wouldn't see them deign to actually roll up their sleeves and work with the rest of the shlubs, but they sure could find ways to boss you around. Plus seeing young brothers lifting way to heavy loads just to impress...I don't know, Jehovah, I guess. I would tell these guys to go just a little easier, back injuries can last a lifetime, and nobody gets insurance for on the job injuries. Ha ha, whatever.

Parking duty is another one I thought was worthless. Usually, the unlucky one gets to stand in the July sun holding a sign saying "JW parking." No hat, no umbrella, no relief for two hours. In slacks and a tie.

Yup, just a preview of how life in the new system will be like as well. Potential enjoyment of a situation punctured with a tedious, monotonous task.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask
    After I grew older, got married and had kids...and couldn't flirt with the ladies anymore...the Assemblies got downright tedious.

Word.

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

that is so true i absoutely loved them as a kid but know it was just to get dressed up and meet new fellas!

when i was married they got so hard, just turned into a catch up on who had had a baby (or 10) or who had run off with the milkman etc...

i know what you mean mutz, i loved the pre and post cleaning work, and its sad thats stopped in the uk, i dont know why but now you have to be invited or something to do it, theyve shot themselves in the foot there coz that would have proberly kept a few young ones going!

• garybuss
    garybuss

The assemblies were a social thing for me. I volunteered in food service and almost never sat with the masses. I met new friends and hang out with old friends. I was pretty restless in my late teens and early 20's and knowing Witnesses a couple hundred miles away was handy. I'd go visit and make it into a two day road trip. Usually get a free over night stay with locals. They treated me good.

I met girls there. That's how I met my first wife directly and my second wife indirectly.

I bit into the hype of 1975 initially and it was good to listen to Knorr at the district assembly. Then Delores got sick and died and the Witness people got mean and got WAY over my boundaries with their confrontations. When I saw the year text for 1974 I knew it all had been a big scam.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered
    When I saw the year text for 1974 I knew it all had been a big scam.

Gary what was it?

"Ask not what the WTBTS can do for you, ask what you can do for the WTBTS."

Dismembered

• Jahna
    Jahna

You mean other then being in the men’s washroom with a baby or two, and coming back to your chair hearing “be at your seats” “do more” “why aren’t you pioneering” “do more” “don’t have kids” “do more” Getting a migraine and trying to keep three kids happy listening to “do more” I found the whole thing very encouraging. So encouraged I never want to put myself through it again!

Spiritual refreshment? I never witnessed it. Back pain, migraines, the mandatary all three kids get sick a week later, guilt trip, argument with spouse, tired aching feet, whining kids, spilled drinks, ungrateful “do more” society kind of killed the refreshment part of the whole experience.

Jahna

• garybuss
    garybuss
    Gary what was it?

"If the fig tree fails to bloom . . . "

• by grace
    by grace

Yes, I SURE did!!!!!!!!!!!! Matter of fact, this was the most encouraging DC ever.

Oh, hey, did I mention that this is the first DC I didn't go to???????? hehehe

Self DA'd the end of April........BIG SMILE

So sorry to hear about y'alls experiences. I used to be present every single day/minute, loyally taking notes all throughout. Have to say I didn't miss it a single solitary bit this year. Matter of fact, I just now realized, my DC would have been this last weekend. Oh well.

Love, by grace

P.S. Dismembered, you're a riot Cheers!!!!!!!!

When I saw the year text for 1974 I knew it all had been a big scam.

Gary what was it?

"Ask not what the WTBTS can do for you, ask what you can do for the WTBTS."

Dismembered

• Es
    Es

After the conventions I used to feel so proud to be a JW heheh what a dick :). I did notice tho that once i was married the conventions kind of lost some appeal i guess coz i no longer could perv on the brothers heheh. es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit