What are the differences between JW’s of different countries?

by DannyBloem 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

When I read some of the posts I can’t help wondering that things do not go always the same everywhere.

For example:

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Sorry again not all text was put on the board....

What are the differences between JW’s of different countries?

When I read some of the posts I can’t help wondering that things do not go always the same everywhere.

For example:

Beards are worn by elders here (

Sisters in my cong. got away with topless nudity (not in KH) but when having recreation together with young people from the cong.

I lived in for a while and people do not seem to care about associating with disfellowshipped persons. They just say: we all are family. And they do eat at a separate table though, but same room sometimes.

Here they do care about that rule, except direct family does not stop seeing each other. (contrasting to some of the stories here)

Some more?

Danny.

[email protected]

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

that's right. but it not only depends on different countries but also on different congregations. beard is perfectly ok here. sisters may wear trousers in service. i know of congregations where sisters are "allowed" to pass the mikes (wow!) or lead the field service meeting. sunbathing topless wouldn't be a problem here either. at least in some congregations.

for what i know the us american witnesses are the most restrictive. but well.. not only the witnesses.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

People can now wear beards at my former congretation, men and women.

• Jahna
    Jahna

Hello Danny

We had a brother visit from Germany and he showed pictures of the congregations there, I noticed he also had a beard, and was (he says) in good standing. That would not fly here in Canada. Being topless (even though legal here in Ontario Canada) is a big no no. Showing cleavage is a no no in many congregations.

I have found though that even within the country, certain areas have different no no’s then others. Out east sisters must wear panty hose, all of the time. They were real anal about the length of hair for men, etc. In Ontario, you don’t have to wear panty hose, men’s hair can touch the collar of their shirts but not below and white shirts are not required by most congregations. Some even allowed the men on platform without a jacket if it was too hot, though I had one who despite not having air conditioning or even a breeze through the windows made everyone wear full suits. They figured extra fans and chasing after notes flying around made it all better! The odd man passing out from heat just added to the interest of dull meetings. I also never got in trouble over my splits in my skirt and they were above the knee (had to wear panty hose though lol).

I find it funny that unwritten laws seem to differ in each congregation, when most of them are personal preference to begin with. As for disfellowshipping rules, I have never personally witnessed any member being brought up for talking to family members who were disfellowshipped. Then again most just wouldn’t at least for a time.

Jahna

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

People can now wear beards at my former congretation, men and women.

women, i'll buy that... but men?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Here the costumes of the sisters at the assemblies make the Vegas street hookers blush.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Another example:

My aunte is a badtized witness and not disfellowshipped, but she runs a brothel with around 10 girls in it. Everybody knows it but she is still not disfellowshipped and welcome at parties where elders are present. (really true)

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

WoW Danny!

Maybe if I had been in your cong. I'd still be in! The Atlantic Canadian version was very puritanical even with the Irish cultural influences in these provinces but fairly laid back for all that when it came to class structure (my Dad was hardcore but never went in for the shunning thing and didn't mind tackling "the powers that be" over moral/honesty issues).

I'm very interested in third world congs.. Anybody have some knowledge of what's going on in Africa/Central America?

W.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

OMG DannyB, a brothel? Does she only employ pioneers because they will be trustworty and not swear at the clients?? I find that inconceivable, does she give the cong a lot of money or something?

Maybe shes got so many elders on her books they darent say anything or she will grass them all up?

Theyre pretty straight laced here - wouldnt wear a skirt above the knees or a low cut blouse - and neither should they, in my opinion, theres gotta bo some perks to leaving!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit