Pink Floyd is REUNITING!!!!!!!

by Thegoodgirl 17 Replies latest social entertainment

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Did you guys hear the news? July 2, in THREE WEEKS, you lucky dawgs in the UK will have the honor to have Pink Floyd, inclucing Roger Waters, perform live for that big benefit concert for Africa.

GG

• Sith
    Sith

That is awesome news. Pink Floyd was never as good without Waters as they were with him. And vice-versa, although Waters' "Radio Kaos" is one of my all-time favorite albums...oops, CDs. Here's hoping they've settled their differences.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

NO! I hadn't heard that!!!!!

That IS good news!

While I'm on the subject of PF, hubby FOUND the video performance that I have been hunting for since 1973!!!! I had given up after all these years, thinking that it was never archived. I didn't know the title of the album---even if it WAS an album.....cuz I saw it on PBS in 1972. I really loved it. I lost the cassette tape I made of it when we moved to NY and could never duplicate it!

I was so thrilled that I cried and laughed and had goosebumps all at the same time. I couldn't find the thread about this where someone was trying to help me find out what it was......

Turned out to be a performance in San Francisco 1970. SIGH.....I am so happy!

Thanks for the news!

Annie

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Sunspot: You sound like a true fan, at the par of my husband who was so excited this morning, he was actually speechless, almost in tears. He just sat down on the sofa, his face red, and said "go look on the computer!" (he had the news article pulled up). He has Pink Floyd blasting now, from a 1981 concert, the last one where all four bandmembers were together.

Sith: I agree, all four of them together sound awesome. Too bad Syd can't join as well...

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Sunspot: You sound like a true fan, at the par of my husband who was so excited this morning, he was actually speechless, almost in tears

Well, wouldja give him a hug from this old bird? I know just where he's coming from!

• Sith
    Sith

The old stuff with Barret doesn't even compare to the newer music that Waters and Co. put out. How does "A Saucerful Of Secrets" or "The Piper At The Gates OF Dawn" hold a candle to such classics as "Meddle", "Wish You Were Here" or "The Wall"? Barret's demise was the best thing that could have happened to the band. He was a genuine looney. My prayer is that they will all collaborate on some new music. A dream come true

• Preston
    Preston

Actually, I think my sentiments mirror that of the staunchiest PF fans by saying...I'm kinda confused with the reunion. It doesn't make sense for someone like Roger Waters to put artistic differences aside and rejoin the band that has released subpar material ever since he left. He had every right to leave and attempt to put the bands musical history to a close. How could the band top The Wall? The Final Cut, The Division Bell and Monetary Lapse of Reason weren't worth another 25 years of a Pink Floyd in name only.

- Preston

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Pink Floyd is following in the wake of a number of iconoclastic progressive rock bands from the later sixties who have recently reformed and are touring again. They have found new, and suprisingly enough younger audiences, without having to compromise and reinvent themselves. Caravan and PFM being two very notable bands. I believe that PFM are in PA during the summer months - well worth a listen.

This is all good. It is heartening to find that many young people are tired of the moronic sounds that have leaked out of the musical sausage-machine the past couple of decades and are looking for more depth to their music.

I knew Syd Barrett, Sith. I am not sure that you are being terribly fair to him. The music he produced may not have stood the test of time, but it started a fire that became a blaze. He was always more interested in a creating an artistic movement than locking himself into a performing band, rather like Daevid Allen and Kevin Ayers. Though he played the part of a loonie better than most, he was frankly no more loonie than the rest of us - sober.

HS PS - There are more stories circulating about Syd Barrett's behavior than he could possibly live in one life-time.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

preston i dont think everything was subpar

there were some weak points on the wall the moon the final cut etc

and there were moments of brilliance on..reason...division bell...hitchhiking...amused

sith ...i thought radio kaos was the weakest of rogers..but amused to death is great

he has new material ready for release anytime now...so maybe there is method in his madness

altho he will never be as mad as syd

what a great story about the recording of wish you were hear tho....

shine on you crazy diamond was written about syd who they had not seen for years and who had even refused to cash his royalty cheques...and one day when they were in the studio recording that track..syd walks in ..wanders round the studio..speaks to no one and walks out again...spooky

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

But I'd be more excited if I could actually be there to see/hear it...

~Merrythe Merry Can('t)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit