After 15 Years I Finally Did It

by Honesty 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Personally....I think it's dumb and never have liked talking to a piece of cloth as if it reminds me to be a decent citizen.

I'm probably going to get blasted by this, but...

This comment reminds me of the holier-than-thou JWs that used to say, "I appreciate my kids every day of the year. Why should I give them special attention on their birthday?" What it boils down is this is a lame ass excuse to NOT do it at all. Most JW parents don't show their children love anymore on every normal day than worldly people do. (In fact probably less, but that's another thread.) But they say that because they think they're better than the average worldly joe. I've always thought it pretty pathetic when people have to have that attitude to make themselves feel better.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I enjoy saying it, though it still feels strange to do so.

• Ring Wielder
    Ring Wielder
    But they say that because they think they're better than the average worldly joe.

Do you not think that patriotism/nationalism can foster the belief that you are superior to people of other nations? (the 'average worldly joe' of another country)

I still have trouble with patriotism...especially when I look at the way a lot of my fellow Englishmen act when abroad...I am ashamed sometimes to be a Brit.

• gumby
    gumby

* blasts billygoat right in the arse with rocksalt shot*

Saluting the flag reminds me of cult worship. I don't need to have a crowd make me feel obligated and feel like an ass if I do not follow along. Isn't that how the dubs kinda were? I like this country.....I like other countries too......but I don't need to pledge my alliegence to it, I'll do it without pledging.

Gumeshac,and ta bed we go.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I couldn't pledge alligence to the bunch of crooks that run this country. Although it's probably the best country to live in, I just can't give too much respect to the politicians I see on TV and locally on the town council. There may be some honest ones but they are few.

Ken P.

• Rex
    Rex

Praise God from whom all blessings flow..... Rex

• freedom96
    freedom96

I have been saying the pledge for years. It still feels weird, though I don't feel guilty about it. I know I am doing nothing wrong.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Gum,

Hey I think you make a good point. I think the Pledge is just another form of brainwashing BS. I would say the plegde only to get a passport or something but to beleive it and mean it no way. Patriotism, and unswerving loyalty to the government is BS.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

What I don't get is why would a church have its member plegde alligence, sounds like the baptist to me. Religion and Politics a very sorry ass combination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit