Would You Feel Safe Visiting A Muslim Country?

by Englishman 39 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

One of the 'brothers' in our KH was in the Iranian Embassy hostage seige in London, famously stormed by the SAS. They were a lovely family.

Simon - wasnt his story in a WT or Awake and didnt he die about 5 years ago?

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hey, Eyeslice!

Bet your avatar wouldn't want to be seen visiting a muslim country..

Oh, and remind me to tell you the joke about Salmon Rusty sometime.

Englishman.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Turkey though a Muslin country is reasonably safe for western tourists and many Europeans go there because it is cheap.

Only beware with some of the restauranters who have no menus and agree with you verbally to a certain price before you order. When time comes to pay they give a very different price and they say oh this is what we agreed to, you must have misheard I never quoted that price. They should have menus with prices to begin with.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Been to Turkey, would love to go back and explore more. Nothing to be afraid of! carmel

• zulukai
    zulukai

Lived and worked in Saudi Arabia for six years, came home to Canada in late 1998. I went over there with an open mind and a generous feeling of respect toward their culture and religion. I came home with first hand knowlege of why there will never be peace in the Middle East. There is crime in all countries on this planet, but in a fundamentalist muslim country you are a walking representative of a culture Islam feels impelled to irradicate...even Islamic moderates are taught this....it's God's will. I too found vast differences in the way Islamic people treat you, depending on the time of day and their mood at the time. But the hospitality thing is an ingrained principle of their culture. I had friends over there from Egypt, Syria and Morocco and worked with Saudis, Sudanese and other Muslim nationals. I found there is a high value placed on being polite and hospitable that gives the newbie the impression they are accepted and protected. But I also became aware that if a high-up Imam of the religion told them that it was Allah's will that you be killed they would turn on you in an instant, with few exceptions. There is almost no steeet crime in Saudi Arabia, but there was a gathering sense of menace toward Westerners in the souks and streets...some men spitting at you and flinging curses at you for being an infidel prostitute. If I was going to an Islamic country for a vacation I'd make damn sure I checked out the travellers advisory in the local newspaper or on-line. I'd also make damn sure I dressed modestly, no bare legs, no skimpy tank tops or bare legs. This, in most Islamic countries (NO matter what the travel agent tells you), is the attire of a prostitute and will gather nasty minded men to you like hyenas to roadkill. Having said all that I will tell you that Dubai is THE duty-free shopping capitol of the world and they have an annual shopping fest in April that's an absolute blast. This is a more enlightened Arab country but I would be cautious there too.

• upside/down
    upside/down

No means of offense to any here... but are you guys who like Egypt on crack?

Egypt is one of the ugliest and trashy places on Earth. It's Tijuana... only bigger and with a more difficult language and lots of guns.

There are MANY armed guards on every other street corner, with automatic weapons... FOR WHO? I thought Muslims were "peaceful" (choke & gasp)...

Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder.

I guess people here in Colorado like eating animal testicles... why? When there's so much better parts of the animal to eat?

People sometimes make no sense..... listen to me... an Ex-Ex-JW....

I'd visit England or France (it's a joke- get it?)... before I stooped to visiting a totalitarian regimes domain. I pitty the people who must endure these places and call it home. There's no place like home.

u/d

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon - wasnt his story in a WT or Awake and didnt he die about 5 years ago?

Yes, his story was in the WT. I didn't know he'd died, that's sad to hear.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'd go. It's only your time to die if Allah permits

U/D:

There are MANY armed guards on every other street corner, with automatic weapons... FOR WHO? I thought Muslims were "peaceful" (choke & gasp)...

The beauty of that is that if any of them get levelled at you, the perp gets shot.
    It works in a similar manner to the USA, excepting that they don't bother concealing them.

People sometimes make no sense..... listen to me... an Ex-Ex-JW....

Didn't know you'd gone back to the vomit

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

a muslim country? or do you mean a "third world" country?

if it's for crime or prejudices you better not set foot on south america or africa either. and it very much depends on WHERE in that country you'll go.

wouldn't call turkey a muslim country, but it would make a huge difference ir you go to istanbul or to village grzmüz in the mountains.

as for how men treat women, that's also not that much to do with islam. go to mexico or maybe italy you'll most probably find the same situation.

and feeling safe... most people only feel safe at home i guess. i'd feel as safe going to dubai or iran as going to the united states. well i'd feel safer going to dubai that is.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I'd probably go with a tour group - safety in numbers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit