Documentary on JW

by InquiryMan 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Seems like a big project... http://www.knocking.org/

• garybuss
    garybuss

"Unlike other religions, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not try to legislate their beliefs –"

But, they DO try to litigate their beliefs. It's a distinction without a difference. Both involve being associated with a branch of government and their association requires the Witnesses to follow and obey the rules and guidelines published by the Judicial branch of government.

• under74
    under74

bavman started a thread about this yesterday or the day before-

click here

• garybuss
    garybuss

Quote:
    "KNOCKING is a federally funded documentary intended for national broadcast on PBS in 2006, theatrical release and educational/home distribution."

This looks very PRO JW. Maybe we can get Federal funding to show the other side, the abused children, the shunning, the back room trials, and the dead bodies of victims of the blood medical treatment guidelines.

• Swan
    Swan

I agree that the JWs have their good points. They have established great freedoms for all people in this country through their court cases. But as to whether bloodless surgery advances are that great a thing in the field of medicine is yet to be seen. So far it has had a very minor impact in the field of medicine.

And are people who don't agree with the JW teachings really invited to leave? This is quite an exaggeration. Kicked out and shunned is more accurate.

Also, while saying they are politically neutral regarding abortion and gay rights, they are not as unpolitical as they make themselves out to be. I do not believe they are the greatest example of a live and let live approach to tolerance that this website claims. Behind their facade they are staunch supporters of political campaigns to limit gay rights and abortions, even if they don't contribute money or votes to that cause.

So yes, they have their good points and they have benefited society in some ways, but I see far more harm to individuals involved with them than good.

I mean, which would you rather have, a family that doesn't completely shun you or the right as a US citizen not to salute the flag?

Tammy

• garybuss
    garybuss

Tammy wrote:
    "They have established great freedoms for all people in this country through their court cases."

My mind says they have helped the Judicial branch of United States government established more freedoms for non-Witness people than they have for the Witness people. When the court litigations are all added up, I'd say the laws have been litigated in such a way that the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation can treat the Witness people in a way that would be illegal in any other context than organized religion. And illegal in many other countries.

The freedoms granted under the United States Government are not allowed the Witness people if they want to avoid Watch Tower Publishing Corporation ordered shunning by their group member relatives. The Witness and anyone who once was a Witness, are ostracized if they want religious freedom, or to vote, to serve in the military, to salute the flag, to speak their opinion, and to associate with whoever they wish.

So actually, I'd say, what the Watch Tower established was, great freedoms for itself.

The Watch Tower Society walks with one foot on legal rights and one foot on religious abuse. All complete with Bible proof texts and questions at the bottom of the page for personal study.

• Terry
    Terry
    So yes, they have their good points and they have benefited society in some ways, but I see far more harm to individuals involved with them than good.

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society might say this about themselves; but, it is wholly illusory.

There is not even one small way they have benefitted SOCIETY because they redefine SOCIETY in a way that excludes it from the rank and file JW's life.

Be very careful of the landmines in the language taught to you by the Watchtower!

The word "Society" is in the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society" name for a reason.

Society at large (where real people live) is condemned in the strongest possible terms as entirely within the power of Satanic forces. They are termed "doomed". They are the "worldly". They are part of this "wicked system of things" and JW's are called upon to "come out of her".

This does NOT (I repeat, NOT) benefit Society at all.

Think about it before you say it.

The only "good" member of society as far as a JW is concerned is one who isn't a member of society at all. You can't be a citizen and be a JW in any meaningful way except to leech from the superstructure. You do not (read: can not) vote or participate even in the most minor function of the P.T.A. and remain in good standing. You cannot volunteer to feed the homeless or a battered women's shelter either. You unplug from your fellow man ENTIRELY.

Don't fool yourself.

There is absolutely NO BENEFIT to society from JW's.

T.

• AntiPode
    AntiPode

The WTS is not the driving force behind any innovations or even "freedom" to citizens of any country.

It is not without reason a Justice of the Supreme Court said it is too bad we have to protect the rights of an group that does not guarantee these same rights of its members.

Who is looking out for Witnesses rights?

I totally agree with Terry, very well summarized; the "Society" is not democratic or even useful to civilization. There is nothing we would be missing if they never existed, except this board.

S

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Let's not forget,if the JW's are the religion who fought the hardest for freedom of conscience,they are now the religion who does the most to suppress it and start right within their own ranks.

• rebel8
    rebel8

In response to this thread, I sent a long email to the knocking.org people. I'll let you know if I receive a response.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit