thinking of having a bible study

by Ellie 32 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

JW Ben

A challenge for you then my friend. My choice is the Kingdom Interlinear, ideally both 1969 and 1985, specifically the Christian Greek scriptures, together with your NWT reference edition.

Do you accept as I do what was published in Awake magazine since God inspired the original writings, it is logical that he would oversee a faithful transmittal of his Word down to our present day. Do you accept, as I do, that reliable ancient manuscripts confirming every word of the Christian Greek scriptures still exist? And it is just a matter of careful study to establish which ones most accurately reflect the words originally written by the inspired authors? There are more than 5,000 ancient Greek manuscripts to choose from.

For every one of the 237 J-reference in the New Testament (NWT), let us personally check the reference edition and check the source in each and every case. When we have done this, let us discuss whether it is the Kingdom Interlinear or the NWT that accurately transmit the actual words of the inspired authors, based on their sources. In other words which versions of the Greek scriptures do you accept as inspired, unless you wish to argue that no inspired scriptures have survived, in which case we cannot be sure of anything in the New Testament.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

RR,

I have never claimed to have "the truth" so I am by definition not a fanatic... unless you wanted to say that I actually think I have "the truth" in that I think nobody has "the truth" thereby making me a fanatic. Did you follow that.

Ok, but seriously. The difference is I don't claim to speak for God. If I get a good idea, I humbly recognize it's source as outside myself. If I get a dumb idea, which is inevitable, I claim it as mine. I don't feel the need to run the Lord's name through the mud by confusing His thoughts with mine, and saying everything I believe/say is from God.

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Dammit, that is not from Josey Wales! Now I have to go find a Dirty Harry pic.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I think we all need a big hug, some milk, some cookies, and to lightnen up. I have never trusted those who claim a monopoly on truth or purport to know God's reactions and feelings on things...

I wasn't knockin ya CYP, I was just kidding around...

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

RR,

Oh, I know you weren't knockin me. I mostly said that for Ben's benefit.

Milk and cookies. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

CYP

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

JW Ben

I forgot to mention, it is not possible to prove anything from the Bible. To do that all would have to agree on which parts are literal, symbolic etc.

But what can be proved is that JWs are one of the few religions in the world who have every single prediction wrong (in the name of the prophet). A zero success rate. This is the nearest we can get to proof to Watchtower interpretation of Scriptures (any vesion inc Hebrew & Greek) Except of course the invisible ones that no one can prove. Do you really want to use the word proof my friend?

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I actually asked for a bible study - but told them very plainly I don't want to have publications thrown at me - I've studied them before. Use the bible only and then I don't mind. That was six months ago - and still nothing.

Jaffacake - how are you finding the study. I would truly like to know? And what do you then believe?

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

They will always try to get you to read and study from a publication.

The publications are carefully framed.

Get a dub away from their pubs and they get very uncomfortable. Talk about a non-standard dub subject and they are not so confident. It is like home base when you play tag. They are the ones who always just sit on home base and never want to run around and play the game.

I have found that dubs are people who know about 100 verses REALLY well. As a result they come off as being very knowledgeable. Get them away from those 100 verses and you realize you are actually dealing with a person with a very narrow, limited view of the scriptures and God.

• Balsam
    Balsam

As a JW we were always looking for willing converts. Those who gave us difficulties on bible studies were stopped. Especially if they bought up apostate stuff.

Because I moved away and no JW know me here, I have a very nice JW lady my age coming to leave me current magazines. No, she does not know I was a JW longer than she has ever been one, and I don't use her termonology so she has no clue. We have had stimulating converstations, and I am respectful to her and never mention anything apostate. I ask biblical questions, and something she has said over and over is that one must have faith. My comment to her was that to have blind faith without solid proof it giving up our God given ability to reason which makes us human. I told her if she can prove that the bible without question is God's word and not man's then I will believe it as such. So she has been knocking herself out, and it has only lead to some very interesting questions she has had to look up. Oh she tries to get me studying out the publications, but I told her they were to simplistic and lacked real indepth research. I told her if I could read these books in a couple of hours then there was nothing worth digging in them for. She is patient though I know it frustates her. But she comes about once a month to count time for a couple of hours. I don't mind it, it is interesting. I am a good person to kill time with. And it allows me to keep the current literature that I like to see what the current thinking is.

Balsam

• jaffacake
    jaffacake
    Jaffacake - how are you finding the study. I would truly like to know? And what do you then believe?

They are studying with me because I have influence with my JW friend (it looks bad to him if they refuse). I can prove JWs wrong on every topic, just using Bible and JW publications. But I dont, I pretend I'm interested, but occaionally challenge things, When I proved they dont get information from God, using Romans 13:1 the guy admitted it. I think he knows I know the truth about the truth, but I keep leading him in different directions.

I am happy to look at his knowledde book, trinity book etc. Because I can prove there are lies on every page, I have tracked the sources to prove all the misquotes etc. I am keeping my powder dry for as long as possible.

• susej
    susej

get a life do what you want dont be a victim theyll suck you in

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit