thinking of having a bible study

by Ellie 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Ellie
    Ellie

what do you think would happen if someone where to have a bible study with the sole purpose of asking lots of awkward questions just to get the reaction of the witnesses?

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

My dad once had a bible study with witnesses when he lived in another state for a while. He would only study from the bible though. They got frustrated with him because he would not study from the knowledge book. He then started asking them those apostate hard to answer questions and they dropped him as a study saying he was not making progress and only wanted to argue. To them aruging was asking questions and him not agreeing with them.

• greendawn
    greendawn

They would soon realise that the person is too aware of things, can't be fooled and they would find an excuse to stop the study. They can only thrive in deceiving and programing minds where there is ignorance about religious matters.

• Ellie
    Ellie

If they behaved like this with me I would tell them that I don't take everything I hear for granted, I like to hear all sides of the arguement before I make my own mind up.

Do you not think this would work?

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

Maybe, probably not.

I have seen elders say you have your mind already made up. After they give you THEIR explanation and you don't buy it they see no point in messing with you.

• Ellie
    Ellie

To be honest unbeliever I would be very happy with that reaction, it would erase any doubts I have in my mind about whether I'm doing the right thing by walking away.

I also think it would be worth it just to piss them off.

• luna2
    luna2

The sister who studied with me was the kind of person who sincerely worked to answer my questions. Our study would start with reading one paragraph in the LF book and then I'd be off...questions all over the place. If we got two paragraphs done in an hour or hour and a half it was a good day. I loved her. It's too bad I was so abysmally ignorant and so ready to leap into fairyland blindfolded.

Its possible that if I had known what I know now and tried this technique with her that she might have come to a real "accurate knowledge" of the organization she'd given her life to. But I think she was a special and unusual witness.

My friend was studying with the PO and his wife at the same time. Some of the stories she tells of their petty punishments (not showing up for her study when she missed a meeting) and their inability to answer questions ...telling her to study on her own and pray...well, they were a true representation of all that is wrong with the WTS. Neither of them were very smart and Brother PO was both judgmental and somewhat arrogant. People like that would most likely decide that the study wasn't progressing if presented with difficult questions and quickly end it.

It really depends on who you are studying with as to how much they will work with you.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Elle....knock yourself out....I figure though that I got better things to do with my time....like watch paint dry, watch corn grow, and hear the sounds of passing traffic.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Go for it. That is exactly what I am doing right now. I will keep it going for as long as possible.

My advice, keep it polite and don't score points at every opportunity, but when you've got them on the ropes back off. Don't spring surprises on them. Make your own notes as you go along. When they quote a text, ask them if they mind if you jot it down so you can study the context and come back with questions on it the following week.

Ask in advance if you can look up what they say in watchtowers, and innocently point out contradictions with that sincere, but puzzled & concerned look on your face.

Have you got the official material that exposes the knowledge book, trinity booklets etc page by page. Its different for me because I've never been a JW. Please keep us posted - you never know, you may plant seeds even if they don't show it at the time. It may take months or years to flower, you never know what secret doubts they already harbour.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Ellie,
    The Witnesses in my area are on to people who do that. One sister told me that she gets fake bible studies all the time with the intent to stumble her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit