thinking of having a bible study

by Ellie 32 Replies latest jw friends

• JW Ben
    JW Ben

As a JW I would study with any person using only the Bible (several versions) and Hebrew and Greek Lexicons. Using this method i wouild prove all major JW teachings are strickly from the Bible eg no trinity, no hellfire, no imortal soul, the reserectiion, why Jesus came to earth, why God permits the trouble we see today, what Gods purpose is for the earth, etc

• steve2
    steve2

As dull as they are in their own capacity for asking meaningful questions about the Watchtower, active JWs have an uncanny ability to detect if a prospective "Bible study" has that capacity.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    As a JW I would study with any person using only the Bible (several versions) and Hebrew and Greek Lexicons. Using this method i wouild prove all major JW teachings are strickly from the Bible eg no trinity, no hellfire, no imortal soul, the reserectiion, why Jesus came to earth, why God permits the trouble we see today, what Gods purpose is for the earth, etc

So you dont study with the Knowledge Book; do your elders or CO know about this?

Ellie, I wouldnt even subject myself to the subtle brainwashing tactics used by the WTS; take into consideration their method of study. The numbers relate to how many times you are asked to read the material they provide.

Asked to prepare a chapter out of one of their books and this involves reading it once (1) then in your preparations you are asked to answer the preset questions from the relevant paragraph which contains the answer for this you read it once again (2).

You then underline your answer and you read the answer again whilst you underline it (3). To summarise before you have even begun your study you have read not the bible but their publications three times.

At the actual study you are asked to read it again (4) and then answer the pre set questions (5).

What legitimate method of study requires you to read exclusively the material set out 5 times; if this isnt brainwashing or heavy indoctrination I dont know what is.

Even to subject yourself to this voluntarily for whatever reason you have is dangerous...dont do it is my advice.

DB74

• Ellie
    Ellie

Jw Ben - go give your head a wobble!

• M.J.
    M.J.

I'm doing this too. It's kind of a fine line between asking too many tough questions and being a pushover. You don't want to alienate the person and Jaffacake gave good suggestions on writing stuff down and coming back after doing more research. I would suggest following his advice. It is surprising if you know the right questions to ask how easily you can throw them off. I'm studying with a very impressively credentialed JW too. One other piece of advice I would have is to insist that it is done one-on-one. When you get 2 or more dubs together, each feel like they have to put on the best show in front the other one(s). The social pressure is on.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

That is a good point MJ on the two dubs trying to out-dub eachother. I have found they are much more candid when it is just you and them.

My question is what are you trying to accomplish? If you are just trying to convert dubs, I think that is admirable, but I question your longevity?

For me I am trying to accomplish a couple of things. I study with them so my wife knows I am open to her religion, I am therfore able to discuss the religion with her, and ultimately I hope to help her leave it.

The other is that I use them to practice asking difficult questions without alienating them. Once I get the hang of it, I will start using my new found skills on my wife.

Like MJ said, it is a fine line. Ask fair questions out of a genuine sense of curiosity. Build up a lot of trust and rapport with them so you can talk about uncomfortable subjects more easily. Try to get them out of cult mode (get them to act like a normal person) before you hit them with a tough question. If they are in cult mode, it provides them with a filter and your message doesn't get through.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    Jw Ben - go give your head a wobble!

Be nice. Ben has guts to come to this place with so many well informed and cranky apostates.

Welcome Ben. I am not an apostate so you can talk to me. I hope you stick around. It might be tough for you though. Here all subjects are open to frank and open debate. No ideas are automatically discounted. Ideas have to stand on their own.

Can your ideas stand on your own? If so, than you should have nothing to fear here. WELCOME!

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Can your ideas stand on your own? If so, than you should have nothing to fear here. WELCOME!

Oh look! A wolf in sheep's clothing!

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    Oh look! A wolf in sheep's clothing!

Now look. You probably went and scared him off.

He would try to convert me if he had the chance. I have always been fascinated by what would happen if you got two fanatics together and watched them try to convert eachother. Actually it would probably be quite boring.

The idea of it just strikes me as funny somehow.

Sorry RR. I am just feeling kind of Josey Wales-ish today. Something about those big Colt Dragoons.... I reckon.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    I have always been fascinated by what would happen if you got two fanatics together and watched them try to convert eachother.

AND NOW:

CYP vs. JW BEN in the ultimate Christian Life Match.

LET'S GET READY TO HUMBLE!!!

knock yourselves out!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit