Is age an excuse to hold back?

by stopthepain 21 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Gary

How does your mother treat you today? Does she shun you, or snub you or yell at you and slam doors? Was your mother abusive? Or was she just mistaken about a religion?

My mother faded along with the rest of us, she knows she was mistaken but still makes similar mistakes. Doesnt dare preach too much after being sooo wrong before. Now we rarely talk religion, we each study alone. But every now and then she goes off on one about the end is nigh but she backs off when I give her that smile and slow head-shake, or just a kind word to suggest she is mis reading the Bible again..

The point I was making is that my sister can't fully forgive after 25 years, not because of shunning, but because of the past, for having us waste our youth and live in fear. She thinks she is psychologically scarred which contributed to her marriage break up. Its easy to blame others for the rest of our lives, but this damages us. My advice, stand your ground but do it with love. Show her who has the true fruitage of love, whatever your beliefs. Easier said than done, I know.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Thanks jaffacake,

Now I understand about your sister. I'm willing to forgive their past behaviors and mistakes IF they forgive mine and treat me and people who are important to me good right now. Witness relatives typically treat us bad now, so the past stays sealed.

I don't struggle with it any more. It's just the way things are.

One problem a few of us have is the Witness relatives want to be mean to us one day and then they want to ask us for favors or they want access to our children the next day. I DO have a problem with that. It just don't happen here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit