Biased PBS Special Soon to be Aired

by bavman 49 Replies latest jw friends

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

I'm impressed that they made the change.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

That is good that someone is listening for a change. Though it makes me wonder what type of investigative reporting the producers did when they only got one side of the story. Hopefully they will followup, update and include that in their documentary.

Will

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

This is impressive. Kudos to the producers. Hopefully they incorporate some changes into the actual documentary as well.

SNG

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Well hasn't this been quite the eye-opener!

I'm hoping to make some time to compose a relevant email and taking a different slant than SNG and Else's. (cover more bases---and there are certainly MANY to cover)

Go FORTH my EXJW's!!! Let all be heard!! Let's continue to make a real difference when and where we CAN!

Annie

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Congratulations! And, yes, the real question is whether or not they change anything in the documentary.

But it certainly let them know that there are a lot of people paying attention who are not about to let things slide. I wonder if the federal funding is coming through the CPB and if this reflects Kenneth Tomlinson's heavy hand trying to Foxify public broadcasting.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Kudo's to everyone. I think we have more power than we sometimes give ourselves credit for. Afterall we are a GROWING force, unlike a certain cult we know. I too hope they actually present a more balanced view of the WTBS in their production. If someone gets thru to one of the producers, please let us know.

-BONEZZ

PS. WE may be the happiest people on earth since we know the real "Truth."

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

I just e-mailed them asking them to see both sides of the story by examining COC.

• bebu
    bebu

Last night I emailed this letter to Mr. Engardio. Dear Mr. Engardio, I am a fan of documentary films, and always look forward to seeing a new one on PBS. I am afraid, however, that your documentary on Jehovah's Witnesses may not be fully informed. If you are one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I can understand your reluctance to read anything that would be considered opposition to your faith. In fact, you would probably not read the rest of this email--or any other email that would give information that confronts the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society--since the WTBTS forbids you to read such. If you are not a JW, then I hope you must understand about the draconian practice of shunning, which is practiced by all active JWs toward anyone announced "no longer a JW". There is NO freedom of thought in this religious group, no unity... just enforced uniformity of thought. I wonder if you have read ALL the documents pertaining to the JWs in Germany? And the interesting papers penned by Judge Rutherford, trying to chummy up with Hitler to help the JW cause? And the ever-fluctuating numbers they cite for those who went to camps/died? The WTS cared not for the people who went to camp, but for using their martyrdom for their own aggrandizement. It is a deeper tragedy than the JWs actually believe! I am not a Jehovah's Witness, nor have ever been one. But I have several friends who have come out, and have lost all friends and family because of it. They are considered "dead" to all who are inside still. I sometimes find myself helping to picking up the pieces; some have been suicidal, it gets that bad. ...It is hard to imagine a documentary that will ignore this utterly vicious practice of shunning, by those who proclaim to really love better than all of Christendom. Therefore, I believe the real story today is in the thousands and thousands of broken lives and marriages and families, sacrificed by order of the WTS, rather than the hundreds of yesteryear sacrificed by Hitler. I hope you will not disappoint the truth. Thanks for listening, (bebu) PS: I truly hope you are already familiar with these resources: www.freeminds.org www.jehovahs-witnesses.com http://www.un.org/dpi/ngosection/watchtower.pdf http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/ghost.htm http://watchtower.observer.org/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040312/DOCTRINE/10527012 www.silentlambs.org

• bebu
    bebu

The fact that the producers changed so much of their information is telling!

They were unaware of the iron teeth that the WTS has behind its public smile.

My hope is that these guys will learn more... and be inspired to do ANOTHER documentary... an expose on PBS!

bebu

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I sent in my two cents' worth in an e-mail:

I hope that you will try to show both sides of Jehovah's Witnesses and not just make an informercial for their religion.

1. Please, please, please make sure you address the issue of child abuse cover-up within the religion -- that is the subject of many lawsuits throughout the United States and Canada and has torn apart many lives and families.

2. Disfellowshipping: The Witnesses claim that this "keeps the congregation clean" and is a "loving arrangement." In reality, it pits family member against family member and has many times resulted in tragedy. My father committed suicide in 2002 as a direct result of the harsh treatment by the elders and congregations members of the Preston Park Plano congregation. If you would like to read the letter I wrote to that congregation detailing his treatment, please type in "William C. Bibbee" or "Bill Bibbee" in your search engine and the letter should show up. It was posted on www.jehovahs-witness.com

, along with the cold and legalistic reply sent by the New York headquarters about three months after my letter was sent to them.

I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses from birth until age 46. I believed in it heart and soul, regular pioneered for 13 years, and had no doubts whatsoever until I saw how my husband was treated after he confronted his parents (also Jehovah's Witnesses) about the abuse he suffered as a child; how I and our children were treated after my husband quit going to meetings (invisible); how my son was treated by congregation members when he was sick and in a wheelchair (ignored); and how my father, an elder for 40 years who made ONE mistake, was ignored even after he was reinstated, causing him to become so depressed and lonely that he blew his brains out.

I do hope that you will endeavor to show an unbiased view of this religion. It has helped a great many people get their lives back to moral principles, but it has also destroyed families and made people physically and mentally ill.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this matter further. I have no problem being interviewed or quoted, and I am neither disfellowshipped nor disassociated, so my statements should not be looked upon as being made by an "apostate." My husband and I still associate with friends who are Jehovah's Witnesses. Many of them share our concerns with the teachings of this religion.

And I sent in my name and phone numbers to contact me. We'll see!

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit