Wolverines, Sociopaths

by patio34 23 Replies latest social relationships

• rebel8
    rebel8
    rebel8 ... why take him to a therapist? You said above that there is no treatment for a sociopath. I recall you saying it is hopeless ... that if a child has no conscience by age 7 ... it isn't going to happen.

I said we do not know he is a sociopath. He has not been diagnosed.

Personality disorders only exist in adults anyway. He is 18, on the cusp of adulthood, so we don't know if his personality is "fully" formed yet to the point of being able to have a personality disorder. As I said, there is an opportunity to help him. As I said, even if he is a sociopath already, at 18 years old, therapy can help him to decrease his aggression towards others (if he has it)--it will not cure APD but it can help decrease acting out (at 18 y.o.).

There are a number of other "disorders" and issues that could be causing the behavior beezeldub described. Thus the importance of taking him to a therapist who can thoroughly evaluate him.

• a friend in need
  • itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

1 in 25 and 2 of them are my sisters? How is that possible?

It sounds interesting. Is it a book or something?

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks for all the helpful information, Rebel.

1 in 25 and 2 of them are my sisters? How is that possible?

It sounds interesting. Is it a book or something? --Its all good now

I just read a book called The Sociopath Next Door (lol, Ignored One's neighbor!) by Martha Stout. It would be possible because 50% of the cause is genetic. Another thing is that Asians have 1/10th the rate of sociopaths as the US. This is attributed to their strong cultural insistence to community and family ties and respect. Beelzebub, good luck with your son. According to my limited reading on it, the trait has to show up by age 15, they get in trouble with the law, and are sexually promiscuous among other traits, in order to be diagnosed as sociopath (APD). Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit