Does anyone have the Awake! January 1 1989? - 20th Century Quote

by jwfacts 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The Awake! January 1 1989 contains the quote on page 12 "He was laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century." This was later changed in the Bound Volume and on the CD library to "in our day."

This is a piece of Watchtower history that is important to preserve. I would love to have a copy, or even a photo of the quote, as additional verification to the couple of scans that are online.  

So if anyone has one or can get their hands on it, please make sure to keep it, or pass it my way.

• Splash
    Splash

There are a few magazines you should collect for this teaching:

w50 2/1 pp. 35-37 pars. 1-12 What Do You Do with Your Time?
    "The appointed time has grown very short." (1 Cor. 7:29, An Amer. Trans.) This sobering pronouncement from the lips of one of the world's foremost authorities on Christianity should be thoughtfully considered by men living in this twentieth century. What time, then, grown so short could possibly affect this generation?" Paul looked confidently forward to the end of the present system of things with its confusion, corruption and violence; and his confidence was based on Holy Scripture and the words of his Master, Christ Jesus. Do you know that the very signs Jesus foretold and his apostles looked for have seen fulfillment on this present generation?

"Perhaps several generations will yet come and go before God's wrath is expressed against wickedness and its final end brought about." Such a conclusion should be hastily dismissed from mind. (Matt. 24:34) It is the generation you are living in that is primarily concerned.

As it comes on apace, let us not be found among the scoffers who push the end into the remote future saying, "Perhaps sometime, but not in our day!" Such a group has lived upon this earth in the past.

Awake! 1961 Feb 22 p. 7
    That now-operating kingdom in heaven will, within the twentieth century, cleanse the entire earth of wickedness... Can you not see that the twentieth century is the century indicated by the prophetic language of Matthew 24, Mark 13, Luke 21, and 2 Timothy 3?

Awake! 1961 Feb 22 p. 8
    ...is it not only logical that whatever else is recorded in these above-mentioned Bible chapters must also come upon the twentieth century? ... Revelation 16:16 calls it the "war of the great day of God the Almighty," Armageddon. This war will come in the twentieth century. ...Now is the time to heed Bible prophecy concerning the twentieth century and live forever in the sunshine of God's new world.

Awake! 1962 July 22 p. 32
    But how many realize that it contains information of special interest to those of us who live in this climactic twentieth century?

The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah p. 216
    "Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom."

Watchtower 1984 March 1 pp.18-19
    "Some of that "generation" could survive until the end of the century. But there are many indications that "the end" is much closer than that!"

Let Your Kingdom Come 1981 p.11
    ...now in our 20th century, we have come to the time for harvest
    — "a conclusion of a system of things, and the reapers are angels"!

Revelation Climax (1988 - removed from the 1996 revision) chap. 34 p. 246 par. 1
    The John class today also wonders with great wonderment as events unfold in fulfillment of the prophetic vision. If people of the world could see it, they would exclaim, 'Incredible!' and the world's rulers would echo, 'Unthinkable!' But the vision becomes a startling 20th-century reality.

Watchtower 1989 January 1 p.12 (loose copy magazine):
                "He was laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century." 

• Magnum
    Magnum

I have it (I think you meant the Watchtower, not the Awake!). I remember studying the article and realizing at the time what a profound statement was made in it. I remember thinking "what are they going to do if the year 2000 arrives and the end is not here?" Of course, I really thought the statement was right because the "generation" teaching at the time indicated that the end should come in or before 1994.

I would like to keep the mag, but I will email (or send in some other way) a photo or scan of the page with the quote and/or a scan of the entire mag.

It might take me a day or two to find it

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Hey Paul, 

I know for a fact that "our" Kingdom Hall library has the bound volumes from that year. 

It is the unedited copy too!

PM me, and I can arrange to photocopy the article and post it to you or email it. Or I'll just "borrow" the copy indefinitely ......

Cheers

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Splash, I love you. YOU ARE THE MAN!  Just add some snippets from the article "A prophet was among them." You know, the one where they talk about Jehovahs prophet-like organization?? Then follow up with the scripture in Deuteronomy about false prophets. BAZINGA!!!!!

DD

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

That was 1969 not 89

*edited to add:  maybe im wrong but i could have sworn it was 69 hard copy and it was changed in the 69 bound volume...

• blondie
  • blondie
    blondie
    ps the awake is dated on the 8th and 22nd of each month; the WT is on the 1st and 15th.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I appoligize, i have no idea why the year of 1969 is stuck in my head for this as opossed to 1989....
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I appoligize, i have no idea why the year of 1969 is stuck in my head for this as opossed to 1989....

Could it have something to do with your favorite number?

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit