JWs not shunning you after you left the org?

by greendawn 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• greendawn
    greendawn

After you got disfellowshipped or disassociated yourself were there any JWs relatives or not that refused to accept the shunning policy and at least secretly (or perhaps openly) kept up contact with you?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I wish!

But no, not a single one and some even got their shunning early by crossing the street before I was DFed!

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I know somre people who used to still talk to their kids after they were DFed. The only thing was then people shunned the parents too.

• under74
    under74

I never got Dfd nor DAd myself. I was never baptized. My mom DAd herself and myself and my siblings left with her...nonetheless I've been shunned by all my JW family members as well as every JW that knew me back when.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Well, my Dad shuns me, although to start with he kept changing his mind. One minute he would be over having dinner with me, the next he wont even call. He even has a 8 month old grand-daughter he hasnt seen yet! I believe he is missing out more than I am tho, so the ball is in his court... I literally havent got anything to say to him. Im not sure what stand to take- turn it on its head and shun HIM or just be there and tell him I still care about him and will always be there for him???

• blondie
    blondie

I know of 3 elders who have regular contact with their DF'd children and the elders are aware of it. They consider it falling under "necessary family business" and told us to butt out, basically.

Blondie

• JW83
    JW83

My parents flip-flopped, but like Crumpet said, the rest got in early!

• garybuss
    garybuss

I wasn't shunned the first 18 years after I quit associating in 1974. In 1992 I told my brother in West Virginia some of my conflicts with the Witness dogma and the shunning started almost right away in South Dakota.

• misguided
    misguided

I live 3 1/2 hours away from my parents. They will let me stay with them when I go down to their area. When they come up to my area, though, they usually stay in a hotel or with my sister (reinstated, but now inactive), although they will have dinner with me, and even had family photos done which included myself and my children.

Some JW patients at the office don't seem to mind talking with me, others outright shun me, and will even try to make the appointments for when I'm not in the office (but the other girl thinks it's crazy and will book them when I'm in regardless). One JW family brought in everyone in our office a bottle of wine last week - including one for me - go figure!!!

• lilybird
    lilybird

We formally D'A ourselves about 20 years ago. My husband's parents did not agree with shunning their children. They were counselled several times to not associate with us, but they just laughed it off and said that they would not do that. His father was eventually made an elder and still counselled not to speak to us, but he still refused to do that. The congregation elders left us alone and we all were still a family.Still, his family tried to get us to come back. We went to a memorial service a few years ago just to please them so they could attend with some family. After the service the PO told my father-in-law that if we were trying to come back we would have to agree to a bible study and attend meetings without talking to any sisters or brothers in the hall. WE said we weren't that interested!!!!!!!! Anyways, going back for the one meeting was enough to reaffirm to both of us that we were never going back to that insanity....We feel that the elders let my father-in-law associate with us if he wanted because he was very wealthy and made big contributions to the hall..buying his way into the New System. He died 2 years ago never seeing the Great Tribulation he was waiting for... oh well.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit