anyone play guitar?

by tsunami_rid3r 22 Replies latest jw friends

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

i just got one and i learn a few chords, but im having trouble switching between them fast and my fingers hurt a little, when can i start getting caluses and should i rest my fingers?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Ya man I play like a mutha f*ckin riot.

It wont take long. You will think you are never gonna get it and your fingers will hurt like hell for a while, but you will. Your caluses will develope in a week or so and they will get tuff and strong. U will be able to break a needle with your finger tips.

Practice every day. CHords and scales. I know scales are boring but they will help. Dont give up!!

• prophecor
    prophecor

It'll hurt for a little while, but just like Matt said, after a week or two, you won't even notice it. Your ability to change chords will come in time. It's mostly a matter of practice.

Did you start with an electric or an acoustic? Both are great, though these days, I would lean more to an acoustic. Easier to take to the park, no need of complex amplifiers.

Keep choppin' away. You can only get better.

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

im starting with an acoustic. um.. what are scales? lol.. are they like EADGBE?

btw i have the e, a, and d chord down..its just a pain in the ass trying to switch between them. those are the basics i think.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Here you go man,

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/index.php

Scales are important for a few different reasons

They build strength and independence in your fingers.
    Playing scales helps to train your ears to recognize some common note combinations.
    They can be used as note choices in both improvisation and writing of music.

EAD is good, you can play a lot of stuff with those chords. Practice with them every day to get caluses and strengthen your fingers. Also since your pinky might not get much use with those chords you might try to use it some too. Like with the E you can bring your pinky down on to string 2 in the 3rd fret to produce kind of an E7 chord. From D you can put your pinky on the 1st string 3rd fret for a cool chord too.

Practice as much as you can every day. Later come more chords and songs! You can even play the same chords you know now on different positions on the fretboard.

So are you taking lessons? What kind of music do you want to play?

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

nah, im learning off the internet and i might get some books...rock...im moving on to electric once im good.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Cool man, you can learn a lot on the internet. That site I sent will teach you a lot of basic stuff.

I know me, prophecor and avishai play and would be happy to help you along.

I play mostly hard rock and alt. But dont make the mistake of locking your self into one style. Learning blues, classical, and *reeecchh* even country can help you make a lot of progress in rock styles and make you a better overall musician.

Good luck man.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Yep, and don't forget the 2-5-1 jazz chords and start learning roman numerals early on and it will be easier to transpose things to the other keys all 12 of them.

Starting at the root It works like this:

1--2--3--4--5--6--7--1

C-D-E-F--G--A--B-C

Therefore in the key of C: D minor 7 is the 2nd chord. G dominant 7 is the 5th chord and C major 7 is the 1 chord. So your playing the 2nd degree of the scale first followed by the fifth and back to the root which of course is C.

So we now have: Dmi7-G7-Cmaj7 (hence the name 2-5-1). After you learn that you can take it through cycle of 5ths.

M'

• qwerty
    qwerty

Try searching for the Heavey Guitar Bible on Amazon! There are many who recommend it! I bought it and it is very good. Only about $10. Qwerty

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

thanks guys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit