i need some skeptic input... dreams that come true

by googlemagoogle 121 Replies latest jw friends

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

listen to this: the other day my wife was talking in her sleep and she said "sister XYZ died". i just thought, well she's dreaming. the next day one of my friends told me "sister XYZ died yesterday". so i thought, well, maybe someone called my wife and told her, so she dreamed about it. when i came home i told her, did you know sister XYZ died? she said, no what, really?

thing is she didn't know about it. she only knew that sister XYZ was in hospital. now i firmly believe in something we call "coincidence", but this felt a bit confusing...

what do you think about it?

edited to add: that sister is not very close to us. so it's not like she'd think a lot about her or being in sorrow about her.

• Ellie
    Ellie

If your wife knew that the woman was in hospital at the time then I'm sure it was just purely coincidental.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

In this case, I don't even think it counts as much of a coincidence. "Sister XYZ" was already in hospital, so obviously she was sick. Your wife had obviously at least considered the possibility that Sister XYZ would die, and this manifested itself in her dreams. Even if it had been a healthy person who died unexpectedly, if it was a once-off, there's no reason to believe it's anything other than coincidence.

• phil78
    phil78

This is an interesting subject for me. Ever since i can recall, i have always been geting that "de-ja-vo feeling". Like, something happens in my day, and i instantly flash back to a dream a few nights before, and i reconise the immediate next few seconds as events unfold.

I'm not able to remember my dreams on a morning, but i remember them through the day when they line up with something thats happening.

Its happened since i was at least 5 or 6.

As far as sceptic input, well..... i dont know. I'm not really into fortune telling or all that crap, but i know what i know. I have dreams, sometimes they appear to come true.

Once i won loto, but i'm still waiting for that one.

-Phil.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

phil78:

I'm not able to remember my dreams on a morning, but i remember them through the day when they line up with something thats happening.

That's normal with deja vu. When we see something, we feel as if we remember it from a dream or past experience, even though we have no memory of it until it happens. One explanation I've heard for this is that sometimes one part of the brain perceives a situation a fraction of a second before other parts, and the other parts then interpret this information as a pre-existing memory.

Another possible explanation is that you remember the "hits" and never notice the "misses". For example, you see something which triggers a memory of a dream you had a few nights previously; if you hadn't seen the object in question you would never have remembered the dream. There may be far more misses than hits, but of course you won't see it that way.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    "i remember them through the day when they line up with something thats happening."

And if they don't line up you don't remember them, that's all it is. Yep. What funkyderek said!

• phil78
    phil78
    Another possible explanation is that you remember the "hits" and never notice the "misses".

I'm very open minded about this, and there are definately more hits than misses. This might happen once a month if i'm lucky. Or mabey i'm psychic.....Not.

Its just an interesting quirk of nature that doesen't really need an explanation. I just enjoy it when it happens.

-Phil.

• JW83
    JW83

Well, I had a dream last night that I got 93 on my thesis - I'm hoping that comes true! (yeah, right)

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Dreams are complex, and their content can range from completely outlandish scenarios and physical impossibilities, to mundane everyday occurances.

There are a number of factors which sometimes lead people to believe that their dreams have revealed something about the future.

Details in the present may seem similar to something we have dreamed, and we may convince ourselves that our destorted recollection of the dream is exactly the same.

The content of a dream may have been sparked by previous events that have a likely outcome that may appear in our dream, and then actually happen in the future.

Sometimes people want to experience the thrill of something supernatural having happened, so they convince themself that it has.

Situations of deja vu can often be explained as a predictable situation, or a situation similar to one that has already been experienced or seen on television etc.

Various pyschologocial abnormalities may also be a factor in believing that one can tell the future or has seen the future in a dream.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

yeah i was explaining it to me like that too... my grandfather died some weeks ago, so things probably mixed in her dream. it just sounded pretty creepy for the moment. won't change my worldview though until the same thing happens again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit