i need some skeptic input... dreams that come true

by googlemagoogle 121 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Tetra:
    You are of course completely entitled to your opinion, but I have this "feeling" deep in my belly, that just wont stop quivering. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that his must be attributed to the "inner source"TM, that is spreading radiant joy throughout my body.

I'm sorry that you can't scientifically measure it, and whilst I have to confess that words are insufficient to describe it, you must be laugher-blind, and hence unable to appreciate what we are talking about!
    But I assure you that "believers" know what they feel.

I'm only so far away from burning you at the stake, heretic!!!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

yes, but LT,

if you cannot prove scientifically how you know that the joke exists in your belly, then it is completely logical to conclude that the joke is on you!

I'm only so far away from burning you at the stake, heretic!!!
    please define what you mean by "so far". can it be measured?
  • Jeffro
    Jeffro
    But I assure you that "believers" know what they feel.

Though not exactly relevant, this statement reminded me of all the times the Society has given accounts of Witnesses being tortured or whatever and them saying they felt Jehovah's protection because they didn't feel any pain, and had a sense of calm.

These experiences don't indicate God's protection. The sensation referred to is called: shock, induced by trauma. There is nothing mystical nor surprising about such experiences.

Feeling is believing...?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Tetra:

if you cannot prove scientifically how you know that the joke exists in your belly, then it is completely logical to conclude that the joke is on you!

See, here is why your presumption falls down. The joke is "in" me and "on" me, everywhere simultaneously. The joke is "one".
    Surely you can comprehend this, grasshopper?

please define what you mean by "so far". can it be measured?

Of course it can be measured. It's the distance between me and a burning faggot

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

LittleToe,

It's the distance between me and a burning faggot

I assume by 'burning faggot' you refer to the traditional sense of the word, ie 'sticks and twigs used as kindling' rather than a disparaging term suggesting a biggoted act of violence.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Jeffro:
    See, that's the thing about Brit humour; you never quite be sure which meaning is being used. It can mean what the author wants it to mean, and be taken as the recipient want's to take it - the secret is in salting the comments lightly, so that offense is hard to take, whilst having the secret pleasure of having passed a vicious insult - all that is left is this abiding feeling that something has been pulled on you

And hence the genres of satire and double entendre were born...

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

MrsStevenyc is French,

Jeez try and drop a piece of Brit humour on her and the response is:

Blank expression

Required explination

second explination

thrid explination

penny drops

Blank expression

steve

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    the secret is in salting the comments lightly, so that offense is hard to take

The word "faggot" in the sense of 'kindling' is not in common usage, so your comment wasn't so much 'lightly salted' as 'pickled in brine'.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Jeffro:
    And yet the context was "burning heretics", so whilst there would be an initial reaction to the double-entendre implication, the end result would be an uneasy acceptance that it refered to a medieval implement of heat transportation.

The bomb thus explodes in a contained environment - the intended recipient.
    The vicious side to the British psyche; explaining why so many are bitter and twisted, beneath the stiff upper lip

I think you have the "measure" of it

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    the end result would be an uneasy acceptance that it refered to a medieval implement of heat transportation

I know that, and you know that, but I don't think most people recognize the original use of the word so the connection would probably not be made by many.

"He's not the Messiah... He's a very naughty boy!"

Do heretics weigh the same as a duck? Or does that only apply to witches?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit