JW terminology really gets my goat

by Ellie 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Ellie
    Ellie

I don't know if its just me or if anyone else feels the same but it really annoys me when Jehovahs witnesses use their terminology when speaking to a non jw.

For example, a jw woman is talking to a collegue who has never had a bible study and knows nothing about jws.

Instead of saying "I have a friend coming for tea tonight" the woman says " One of the sisters is coming for tea tonight".

Or, instead of "I was talking to a friend on the phone last night" she says "I was talking to an elder on the phone last night".

It just really winds me up, I think they do it to seem important and mysterious but it only leaves the other person confused.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Yeah doctors used to write in Latin until relatively recently.

Helps keep up the mystery and the superiority of it all

• jgnat
    jgnat

I still remember the first time my future hubby used the word "Christendom" in my presence. I stared at him and said, "You make it sound like a swear word!"

• carla
    carla

To non jw's, they mostly don't care, it makes it sound cultish to me. Always did. Another term- one of jehovahs witnesses- I wonder if those raised in the jw's realize that to non jw's it sounds like they are just another denomination, like saying, "I'm a Baptist, or Lutheran etc.. What is amusing and I never correct people for it, is when you talk to someone about jw's they often have a comment like, " Oh, I know a guy who is a big jehovah". They don't realize what they are saying because I guess the jw's have not done such a great job making the Name known! carla

• luna2
    luna2

If you're a dub (or even an ex-dub) it's sometimes hard to go back and forth from normal to JW terms. You get used to talking about and to dubs using their special language and it's difficult to switch back when talking to non-JWs. I would try not to use dubspeak when talking to my parents, but it was difficult especially when referring to members of the congregation I wasn't close to. I could never think of the "friends" as Mr. or Mrs....even now. LOL

• Will Power
    Will Power

I AM EXTREMELY offended, and absolutely HATE it when they say...

Oh, he's been IN THE TRUTH since....or .......since I've been IN THE TRUTH..... or ......he has LEFT THE TRUTH....or.....studying the TRUTH..... or .....the way you feel about THE TRUTH...or.... are you humble enough to accept the TRUTH...

will

• Will Power
    Will Power

p.s.

regarding last week's study containing the phrase.....scummy dross.....

I just couldn't get up the nerve to use this in a sentence. Really wanted to tho. So why do I have to feel guilty about using their own terminology anyway. !

will

• carla
    carla

scummy dross? What?

• jgnat
    jgnat

That's us, carla. The non-JW's. We are scummy dross. Latest buzzword.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Find it in (((Blondie's))) review from last weekend......

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/91529/1.ashx

His foreign wives caused him to sin

Can all these inactive JWs been influenced by non-JW spouses?

10 "The birdcatcher," Satan, sets many traps. (Psalm 91:3) For instance, a

former associate may try to induce us to wander off the pathway of spiritual

light into the darkness of apostasy.

Among Christians at Thya-tira, there

was "that woman Jezebel," possibly a group of women teaching others to

practice idolatry and commit fornication

. Jesus did not tolerate such evils,

and neither should we. (Revelation 2:18-22; Jude 3, 4) Let us therefore pray

for Jehovahs help so that we do not wander from his orders but remain in

divine light

.-Psalm 119:111, 112.

Sustained by Gods Word

11 If we never stray from his regulations, God will sustain us. (Psalm

119:113-120) We do not approve of "halfhearted ones," even as Jesus

disapproves of lukewarm professing Christians today. (Psalm 119:113;

Revelation 3:16) Because we wholeheartedly serve Jehovah, he is our place

of concealment and will sustain us. He will toss away all those straying

from his regulations by resorting to trickiness and falsehood. (Psalm

119:114, 117,118; Proverbs 3:32) He views such wicked ones as "scummy

dross"--impurities removed from such valuable metals as silver and gold.

(Psalm 119:119; Proverbs 17:3) May we always display love for Gods

reminders, for we surely do not want to join the wicked on the slag heap of

destruction!

Can you feel the love???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit