God?!? hahaha. that so funny.

by d0rkyd00d 16 Replies latest jw friends

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

Here is a little post for all you people who believe in God, or at least the God that the Bible presents to us. First off, why would an all powerful being thrive on his creation's worship? That is a little selfish if you ask me, and a little childish. that'd be like building a masterpiece, and then expecting it to thank you every day of it's life instead of doing what it was designed to do. I believe we were designed to enjoy the earth to it's fullest, and each other's company. Also, God is a very big contradiction. Hmmm....let me make it a horrible crime for people to kill people, but i can do it cuz i'm God! wOot! Give me a break. how about this one. I will answer some people's prayers, but not others. People die every day DESPITE desperate prayers. yet others pray for some extra money and win the lottery! God must be on their side. and i don't buy that bull that God "works in mysterious ways". just waiting to hear your thoughts!

"No cool quote yet. but i'll think of one soon."

• Francois
    Francois

I don't believe in that savage judge-accountant who speaks from fulminating volcanoes either.

Which is not to say that I don't believe in God, I just don't believe in that god. The one presented in the Tao Te Ching is much more like it.

All of your objections to Jehovah are also my objections and, like you I'm sure, there are many more. Any god that could inspire the creation of a cult like Jehovah's Witnesses is NO god in my opinion.

Francois

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Alllrighty, thennnnnn. I tell you my thoughts. Don't rip me to shreds too badly, k?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is a little post for all you people who believe in God, or at least the God that the Bible presents to us. First off, why would an all powerful being thrive on his creation's worship?
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Since you are talking about the God of the Bible, um...where does it say He "thrives on his creation's worship"? I don't think that is in there......since when does God us to thrive?

--------------------------------------------------------------
    That is a little selfish if you ask me, and a little childish. that'd be like building a masterpiece, and then expecting it to thank you every day of it's life instead of doing what it was designed to do. I believe we were designed to enjoy the earth to it's fullest, and each other's company.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    If you compare God's creation (humans) to a mere object like a telephone or something, I guess it would be crazy to think of a telephone THANKING it's maker. But if you make a better analogy of God's creation being like children, it seems logical that children love, respect, and even thank their parents. And why would a child loving, respecting and thanking their parents keep them from "doing what they were designed to do...enjoy earth to the fullest and eachother's company"? The two things are not mutually exclusive.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, God is a very big contradiction. Hmmm....let me make it a horrible crime for people to kill people, but i can do it cuz i'm God! wOot!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    All I can I can say here is: What the heck is "wOot!"??!!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Give me a break. how about this one. I will answer some people's prayers, but not others. People die every day DESPITE desperate prayers. yet others pray for some extra money and win the lottery! God must be on their side.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    It is a fact of life that everybody dies. Believers and and non-believers. Christians and pagans. People who pray and people who don't pray. If you honestly think some people pray and then win the lottery because of it, I can understand your anger at God.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    and i don't buy that bull that God "works in mysterious ways". just waiting to hear your thoughts.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, if you don't believe in God, it is redundant(or some other word that I cna't think of right now) to say you don't believe He works in mysterious ways. Anyone who DOES believe in God is faced with not knowing why God lets some things happen and other things not happen. We don't always understand, thus God is mysterious. Again, if you don't believe in God, obvously He would not be mysterious.

just my 2 cents
    -LisaBobeesa

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

Lisa,
    Not here to tear to shreds, just give my opinion.

If you compare God's creation (humans) to a mere object like a telephone or something, I guess it would be crazy to think of a telephone THANKING it's maker. But if you make a better analogy of God's creation being like children, it seems logical that children love, respect, and even thank their parents. And why would a child loving, respecting and thanking their parents keep them from "doing what they were designed to do...enjoy earth to the fullest and eachother's company"? The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Using your better analogy, it does make sense that children would love, respect, and thank their parents. However, If your children did not show these honors to you, should you kill them? Should you demand that they worship you, and when they don't you kill them?

Would you as a loving parent, put a bottle of cyanide in the middle of your 2 year old's bedroom and tell him "You must not eat this. If you eat this, you will die." and then just leave it there to "test" his obedience? Your 2 year old, being new in the world, would not understand the concept at all. I'm not sure what "wOot" means, but I think it might fit here. wOot!

SlayerLayer

• trevor
    trevor

lisaBObeesa

The habit of taking a persons comments and dividing them into paragraphs with denials planted inbetween is a technique that I have seen used by JW's. To do this is to entirely miss the point being made.

The comments should be taken as a whole and the entire feeling and meaning behind them considered with an open and unconditioned mindset.
    Is the person making a valid criticism? Is he right to question the conventional image of God?

I know you don't need lessons from me but I can't help myself.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

SlayerLayer- you said:
    "Using your better analogy, it does make sense that children would love, respect, and thank their parents. However, If your children did not show these honors to you, should you kill them? Should you demand that they worship you, and when they don't you kill them?"

-----------ok, um, let's see, first off, I would like to thank you for not ripping me to shreds. :)

To answer the question is no, I would not kill my children. We could say that this is where the analogy starts to fall apart, because God is only LIKE a parent, but is in fact something much, much more. If we decide to keep the analogy, it now supports one of three things:
    God does not exisit
    God is real but is evil
    or
    God is good and he has good reasons for what he does, that we often do not understand. (Us being like two-year-olds and all, this seem very reasonable. In fact it would be strange if we did understand everything that God understands, Him being to much older and wiser and, well, taller.)

Personally I think God exisits, for the regular reasons......the harmony of the universe, looking in my child's eyes, etc...

And personally I think God is good, for mostly the same reasons....

But I can understand the other view (that God doesn't exist), because I used to hold it. It's sorta like the Trinity: plenty of support for and against, you have to make up your own mind. (NOW I'm gonna get it!)

Trevor: The habit of taking a person's comments and trying to discredit them because of how they are typed out is a technique I have never seen used by anyone. To do this is to entirely miss the point being made. The comments should be taken as a whole and the entire feeling and meaning behind them considered with and open and unconditioned mindset.

Seriously though, I thought I did address the real meaning and feeling of the orginal post. All accept that one part where I asked "what the heck is a wOot?", instead of answering the difficult question of God killing people...

--LisaBobeesa

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

No shredding here sister, but...

We could say that this is where the analogy starts to fall apart, because God is only LIKE a parent, but is in fact something much, much more.

Seems like the key words here are "much, much more". So why then assign attributes to God that would make him much, much less?

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Seems like the key words here are "much, much more". So why then assign attributes to God that would make him much, much less?
    -----------------------------------------

I believe that "God is good, and he has good reasons for what he does that we often do not understand". The only attributes I have assigned to God is 'being good.'

A person may kill another person and it could be heartless murder or it could be an act of mercy. Which of the two it is, depends on the situation and the motivations of the person, and his motivations are a function of his attributes.

---LisaBobeesa

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Killing people (sometimes for no other crime than being non-hebrew), or letting them die horrible deaths, or, for that matter, live horrible lives at the hands of evildoers, is not "good", not to any reasonable moral person.

A person may kill another person and it could be heartless murder or it could be an act of mercy

I'm not quite sure how this fits into the discussion. Still, I think we can all agree that 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999996789% of the time when someone kills someone, it is heartless murder. Yes?
  • lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999996789% of the time when someone kills someone, it is heartless murder. Yes?
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Well, I don't know. Out of all the people killed by other human beings, how many are killed in self-defense? How many are killed because of capital punishment (Texas alone.....j/k)? How many are killed because of mercy to avoid pain or to let a brain dead person 'go'? How many are killed to defend a country under attack (again, self-defense)? I have no idea what the percentage is. But in my mind, that isn't the point.

My point is, a person could kill someone, and still not be an evil, cold-blooded murderer. Likewise, God could kill people and still not be an evil, cold-blooded God. It is possible. I believe we know some of His attributes, not always His reasons.

It has been fun jumping into one of these threads, and I will try to keep the conversation up, if I can, but I have to go to bed, and then work tomorrow, and then I take off for Hawaii (!!!!!!!!!!) So I might not have much time.

--LisaBobeesa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit