God?!? hahaha. that so funny.

by d0rkyd00d 16 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Hawaii??? Good for you!

My point is, a person could kill someone, and still not be an evil, cold-blooded murderer. Likewise, God could kill people and still not be an evil, cold-blooded God. It is possible.

Not to be thick, but even if my percentage was off by a point or so (which really is all I can imagine I might need to conceed here), you are speaking of the rare instance, and this discussion is of the common everday filthy murder, or the common everyday horror of people and children in lands in turmoil, or the common everyday genocide sold to us as Gods will in the bible. Wouldn't it be at least a bit more charitable to assume (at least until proven otherwise) that God does NOT engage in, or approve of, such horrific tragedy?

I could ask you your thoughts on the average Americans place and path in this world, relative to the life of some kiddo in, say, E Timor, and I could phrase my question in a very brutal way. It is, after all, a brutal subject. I won't do that, since your off on vacation soon. But, suffice it to say, that a "God is good, but we don't know his reasons" answer to a question about the foregoing, would seem trite in comparison to the moral weight of the issue.

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

Hey everybody. thanks for all of your comments. This is turning very interesting. in a response to something somebody said, about somebody can murder and still not be completely cold-hearted. Yes, i agree totally. This is perfectly true. However, God supposedly is PERFECT. He is NOT human. And he is the most loving being in the universe according to the Bible. If this is true, then help us all, because he is far from non-violent. would u expect a loving christian to take part in war? i wouldn't. But God has slaughtered in wars by the Thousands. And there are several scriptures in the Bible that say God does have evil in him, or performs evil works, however there are also scriptures saying god is completely pure ( go figure ).

Anyways, to clear things up a little bit, i'm not atheist, but i think the bible is a fairy tale as valid as any other book, like the books the moslems use, the books the hindus use, etc. The only reason i DO still believe in god is because i think the theory of evolution is the funniest thing i've ever heard. oh yeah, great illustration with the cyanide in a room thing too. kudos on that one.

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

and i forgot to mention. When i said GOd thrives on our worship, i don't mean he'd die without it. But it states in the Bible that the whole purpose of our existence is to worship him. also, as you said in your illustration, yes, kids do love their parents. But there comes a time when you separate from your parents, when you are not dependable on them anymore. does this mean that we should move away from God as we get older? have fun in hawaii!

"No cool quote yet. but i'll think of one soon."

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

dorkyd00d,

You're assuming that the Bible stories you've quoted actually say anything about any god that might actually exist. What happens if you throw the Bible out and go truth-hunting?

Maybe humanity's purpose is NOT to worship God; perhaps he created us just to see what would happen.

Maybe god DIDN'T tell the Israelites to murder everybody else.

Maybe god isn't any older than the universe; maybe it and god came into existence together.

Maybe god isn't perfect.

Try the Norse or Greek or Roman or Celtic or Egyptian myths, the Principia Discordia (especially for the Western Onion telegram in which Jehovah's sorry ass is FIRED), or any of Aleister Crowley's books, and see if they don't tell a better story.

Or at least a better *decorated* story.

Gently Feral

• circe
    circe

As I read various accounts of people attempting to fit a loving God into the context of the Bible, I find myself breathing a sigh of thanks that I don't have that conundrum anymore.

I agree with Francoise that the God portrayed by the Tao Te Ching "is much more like it".

Take the Bible (or any "holy" book) out of the picture and contemplate God from that perspective. It can be very "enlightening".

circe

• jukief
    jukief

Anyone who believes in god should read Mark Twain's "Letters from Earth."

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Lisa, you said:

I believe that "God is good, and he has good reasons for what he does that we often do not understand".

But how would you test this belief? If God's actions appear in every way to be evil, random or nonexistent, you just say that he must have a reason you don't understand. That's a copout. If you can define evil as good, you can believe in anything.

--
    Ubi dubium ibi libertas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit