5/23/05 KM Article "Jehovah's Day is Near"

by TheListener 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Would someone please do me a favor and give me a quick rundown on some of these changes since '92?

*** dp chap. 4 pp. 55-59 The Rise and Fall of an Immense Image ***

A

KINGDOM THAT CRUSHES AND SHATTERS

Daniel continued his explanation of the dream image: "As for the fourth kingdom [after Babylon, Medo-Persia, and Greece], it will prove to be strong like iron. Forasmuch as iron is crushing and grinding everything else, so, like iron that shatters, it will crush and shatter even all these." (Daniel 2:40) In its strength and ability to crush, this world power would be like iron?stronger than the empires represented by gold, silver, or copper. The Roman Empire was such a power.

Rome crushed and shattered the Grecian Empire and swallowed up remnants of the Medo-Persian and Babylonian world powers. Showing no respect for God?s Kingdom proclaimed by Jesus Christ, it put him to death on a torture stake in 33 C.E. In an effort to shatter true Christianity, Rome persecuted Jesus? disciples. Moreover, the Romans destroyed Jerusalem and its temple in 70 C.E.

The iron legs of Nebuchadnezzar?s dream image pictured not only the Roman Empire but also its political outgrowth. Consider these words recorded at Revelation 17:10: "There are seven kings: five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet arrived, but when he does arrive he must remain a short while." When the apostle John penned these words, he was being held in exile by the Romans, on the isle of Patmos. The five fallen kings, or world powers, were Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Medo-Persia, and Greece. The sixth?the Roman Empire?was still in power. But it also was to fall, and the seventh king would arise from one of Rome?s captured territories. What world power would that be?

Britain was once a northwestern part of the Roman Empire. But by the year 1763, it had become the British Empire?the Britannia that ruled the seven seas. By 1776 its 13 American colonies had declared their independence in order to set up the United States of America. In later years, however, Britain and the United States became partners in both war and peace. Thus, the Anglo-American combination came into existence as the seventh world power of Bible prophecy. Like the Roman Empire, it has proved to be "strong like iron," exercising ironlike authority. The iron legs of the dream image thus include both the Roman Empire and the Anglo-American dual world power.

A

FRAGILE AMALGAM

Daniel next told Nebuchadnezzar: "Whereas you beheld the feet and the toes to be partly of molded clay of a potter and partly of iron, the kingdom itself will prove to be divided, but somewhat of the hardness of iron will prove to be in it, forasmuch as you beheld the iron mixed with moist clay. And as for the toes of the feet being partly of iron and partly of molded clay, the kingdom will partly prove to be strong and will partly prove to be fragile. Whereas you beheld iron mixed with moist clay, they will come to be mixed with the offspring of mankind; but they will not prove to be sticking together, this one to that one, just as iron is not mixing with molded clay."?Daniel 2:41-43.

The succession of world powers represented by the various parts of the image in Nebuchadnezzar?s dream began with the head and extended down to the feet. Logically, the feet and toes of "iron mixed with moist clay" would symbolize the final manifestation of human rule that would exist during "the time of the end."?Daniel 12:4.

At the dawn of the 20th century, the British Empire ruled over every fourth person on earth. Other European empires controlled millions more. But World War I resulted in the emergence of groups of nations in place of empires. After World War II, this trend accelerated. As nationalism developed further, the number of nations in the world grew dramatically. The ten toes of the image represent all such coexisting powers and governments, for in the Bible the number ten at times signifies earthly completeness.?Compare Exodus 34:28; Matthew 25:1; Revelation 2:10.

Now that we are in "the time of the end," we have reached the feet of the image. Some of the governments pictured by the image?s feet and toes of iron mixed with clay are ironlike?authoritarian or tyrannical. Others are claylike. In what way? Daniel associated the clay with "the offspring of mankind." (Daniel 2:43) Despite the fragile nature of clay, of which the offspring of mankind are made, traditional ironlike rulerships have been obliged to listen more and more to the common people, who want their say in the governments ruling over them. (Job 10:9) But there is no sticking together of authoritarian rule and the common people?no more than there could be a uniting of iron with clay. At the time of the image?s demise, the world will indeed be politically fragmented!

w00 1/15 pp. 12-13 "Keep on the Watch" ***

Third, we are living in the time of the eighth and final "king" mentioned in the prophecy recorded at Revelation 17:9-11. Here the apostle John mentions seven kings, representing seven world powers?Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, Rome, and the Anglo-American dual world power. He also sees "an eighth king" that "springs from the seven." This eighth king?the last one that John envisions?now represents the United Nations. John says that this eighth king "goes off into destruction," after which no further earthly kings are mentioned.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Maybe there's a ninth king and he is invisible and the prophecy that predicted him is invisible like Jesus returned invisible in 1874 and again in 1914.

Maybe we're currently living in the new world and it's invisible and we just can't see it. If there are invisible ghosts, why can't there be invisible pet lions?

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

So they changed their "Teachings" again...........and again......must be that darn.."New light"

Thanks for posting the articles..

Snoozy..now I don't need to shake in fear when the UN falls...

• Flash
    Flash
    Wait a minute!

I thought the "feet of iron and clay" on the image in Daniel represented the "Anglo-American World Power". At least that's how it was when my dad used to give that public talk on the dream in Daniel.

Yes, then the WTS switched it to be ALL the governments during the Last Days which is inconsistant with the prophecy since it is a succession of World Powers from Babylon till the End.

• Sith
    Sith

I like point #1. I wonder how many JW parents ardently desire the coming of Jehovah's day, through which He will destroy their non-JW children and usher in a new world of righteousness.

• Generic Man
    Generic Man

Here's an issue that has always bothered me. Notice these two statements:

1. We know that Jehovah's day is near.

2. We do not know when Jehovah's day will arrive.

It seems to me that these two statements contradict each other. If I believe that 2 is true, how could I ever know that 1 is true? For instance, if I knew the day of John's birth, then I can know how far or close that day is to occurring. If John's birthday will happen 12 hours from now, then I can know that that his birthday is near. But if his birthday is 5 months from now, then I can know that his birthday relatively far from now.

However, the witnesses agree with the Bible that we do not know when Jehovah's day will arrive, but still insist that they know the end is near. It seems more reasonable to say that we have no idea how close or far away that day is. Here's a formal version of my argument:

1. If I do not know when an event will occur, then I do not know how close or distant that event's occurance will be.

2. I do no know when Jehovah's day will occur.

Therefore,

3. I do not know how close or distant Jehovah's day will be.

So according to this argument, the witnesses have no logical justification for believing the end of the world is coming. All they have is the usual misquoted scriptures and conspiracy theories to persuade the masses. What do you guys think?

• lawrence
    lawrence

Dreams of pagan kings, interpretations of false prophets and hucksters. I too have been having dreams, Crooklyn is wringing their hands because law suits are emptying their coffers. Anyone willing to interpret the dream? "Aha, Jehovah's day is near!"

• gumby
    gumby

GenericMan...you make valid points. 20 years from now is near to a dub however. Saying "we don't know when but we know it's near" can happen in a 20 year span in a witnesses mind. They have been dangling the "near" bait in front of dubs for so long, that many who have chased it are seeing no catch to be had and are tired of it. Others are too lazy to leave their comfort zone, and the rest are newbie gullables who need to find answers and bit their bait in their third world homes.

As a side note.....just to read that km made me ashamed I was that damn idiotic for so long.

*kicks self in nutsack*

Gumby

• Generic Man
    Generic Man

"kicks self in nutsack"

I'm trying to imagine how that works.

• gumby
    gumby

It's ain't easy ...and sometimes you get a charlie-horse.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit