question about the last genaration

by donald 27 Replies latest jw friends

• mad max
    mad max

In Coc, towards the end of the book, there was a photstate of one of the WT pages showing a pic of Noah and the animals, then it went on to indicate that this might happen to the JW, cant remember it was either for another 40 years from ? or if that failed then they could rely on the 120 years that Noah preached - starting from 1914, will bring the book to work 2morrow and see if i can scaan in page and print it on this site.

• fairchild
  • Generation:
  • noun: group of genetically related organisms constituting a single step in the line of descent
  • noun: the normal time between successive generations
    Example: "They had to wait a generation for that prejudice to fade"
  • noun: all the people living at the same time or of approximately the same age
  • RevFrank
    RevFrank

What Last Generation? According to the Watchtower Society, the last generation was meant to be 1914. Of course back in 1874 Russell said in 1914 armageddon will be upon us.

I was pondering on writing more about this subject when I recalled a web site : " http://members.aol.com/beyondjw/1975.htm"

Pretty interesting topic on 1975. So if you think the generation is here, now.....forget the wt story about Noah........

And if you have any Awake mags before 1993 turn to page 1..bottom section......it's another story by-line on 1914 being the last generation.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

madmax - had a look at CoC earlier ( I need to re-read this book, because with everything I have learned on here - thankyou everyone - I will be able to appreciate it more) and I think the WT page you are referring to is December 15th, 2003

Warned

of "Things Not Yet Beheld"

In Noah?s day, Jehovah declared: "My spirit shall not act toward man indefinitely in that he is also flesh. Accordingly his days shall amount to a hundred and twenty years." (Genesis 6:3) The issuance of this divine decree in 2490 B.C.E. marked the beginning of the end for that ungodly world. Just think what that meant for those then living! Only 120 years more and Jehovah would bring "the deluge of waters upon the earth to bring to ruin all flesh in which the force of life is active from under the heavens."?Genesis 6:17.

Noah received the warning of the upcoming catastrophe decades in advance, and he wisely used the time to prepare for survival. "After being given divine warning of things not yet beheld," says the apostle Paul, "[Noah] showed godly fear and constructed an ark for the saving of his household." (Hebrews 11:7) What about us? Some 90 years have passed since the last days of this system of things began in 1914. We are certainly in "the time of the end." (Daniel 12:4) How should we respond to warnings we have been given? "He that does the will of God remains forever," states the Bible. (1 John 2:17) Now is therefore the time to do Jehovah?s will with a keen sense of urgency.

In modern times, sincere students of the Bible have learned from the inspired Scriptures that this system is doomed to destruction. Do we believe this? Notice what Jesus Christ clearly stated: "There will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world?s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again." (Matthew 24:21) Jesus also said that he would come as God?s appointed Judge and would separate people as a shepherd separates sheep from goats. Those found unworthy would "depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life."?Matthew 25:31-33, 46.

Jehovah has kept these warnings in front of his people by means of timely reminders through the spiritual food provided by "the faithful and discreet slave." (Matthew 24:45-47)
  • mad max
    mad max

Thanks so much MidwichCuckoo for pasting that article for me.

What the WTBTS is puting into the minds now of JW is that Noah received the warning 120 years before the flood came. What the CoC was saying was something like ::::

the year 1914 was when Jah (the JW say) announced that this generation will by no means pass away , now it's been 90 years since 1914 and if Noah preached for 120 years then it should be about another 30 years to go before the end.

So this is what is slowly been put into their minds. Now if the year 2034 is creeping up and nothing seems to be moving in that so called prophecy, then they can always say "well Noah then had to enter the ark for 40 days" And not the WBTS says a day for a year, that another 40 years they must wait for the end, the year 2074 and if that does not work then .....

and if that does not work... can go on and on and.......

• JT
    JT
  • JT
    JT

?2014 passes it will have great physcological impact?

Sadly - I have to disagree. The power of the human mind to decieve itself is amazing. 2050 will come and go and still there will be people who put their own blinders on and refuse to acknowledge that the math does not add up

I have to agree the year will mean very little to the vast majority of jw, some will leave but no mass exodus, the words of Carl Sagan sum of the history of groups like the jw when it comes to reinventing themselves OV ER FAILED PROPHECIES

</I>
    The words of Carl Sagan are so True

<blockquote>
    Doctrines that make no predictions are less compelling than those which make correct predictions; they are in turn more successful than doctrines that make false predictions. But not always. One prominent American religion confidently predicted that the world would end in 1914. Well, 1914 has come and gone, and -- while the events of that year were certainly of some importance -- the world does not, at least so far as I can see, seem to have ended.

There are at least three responses that an organized religion can make in the face of such a failed and fundamental prophecy. They could have said, "Oh, did we say '1914'? So sorry, we meant '2014'. A slight error in calculation. Hope you weren't inconvenienced in any way." But they did not. They could have said, "Well, the world *would* have ended, except we prayed very hard and interceded with God and He spared the Earth." Instead, they did something much more ingenious. They announced that the world *had* in fact ended in 1914, and if the rest of us hadn't noticed, that was our lookout.

It is astonishing in the face of such transparent evasions that this religion has any adherents at all. But religions are tough. Either they make no contentions which are subject to disproof or they quickly redesign doctrine after disproof. The fact that religions can be so shamelessly dishonest, so contemptuous of the intelligence of their adherents, and still flourish does not speak very well for the tough-mindedness of the believers. But it does indicate, if a demonstration were needed, that near the core of the religious experience is something remarkably resistant to rational inquiry.
    ? quote from "Broca's Brain" by Carl Sagan, p. 332, twelfth edition

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

What is amazing to me is how long jws have waited in anticipation without cracking(OK OK I guess they are). Keep on the watch etc.

It's like telling the fire brigade that a call to huge fire is coming any second.....minute, hour, day, week, month, year, decade, century. Still staring at the telephone....

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit