question about the last genaration

by donald 27 Replies latest jw friends

• donald
    donald

with 2014 only 9 years a way...how could it be one genaration to the great trib....am i off on this or does it seem the dubs have missed this one too...what is there explation????...donald

• JW83
    JW83

I might be wrong, but I think it is a 'Noah's Generation', ie 120 years (or something).

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Hello Donald - I wasn't aware of 2014 (but nothing would surprise me - not even the maths as to how it's arrived at). I posted a similar topic on the year 2034 - which is 1914 (a year that CANNOT be abandoned) + the 120 years JW83 previously mentioned. Here's the link -

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/90435/1.ashx

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

Please note the new light in the following updated understanding:

"A Time to Keep Awake"

"Eager to see the end of this evil system, Jehovah's people have at times speculated about the time when the "great tribulation" would break out, even tying this to calculations of what is the lifetime of a generation since 1914. However, we "bring a heart of wisdom in," not by speculating about how many years or days make up a generation, but by thinking about how we "count our days" in bringing joyful praise to Jehovah. (Psalm 90:12) Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term "generation" as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics."

(The Watchtower, November 1, 1995, p. 17)

"Questions From Readers"
    "Could it be said that the recently updated understanding of the word "generation" at Matthew 24:34 allows for the idea that the end of the system of things could be delayed into the distant future?

That is certainly not the case. On the contrary, the recent improved understanding of this matter should help us to keep in constant expectation of the end. How so? Well, as The Watchtower of November 1, 1995, explained, Jesus applied the phrase "this generation" to contemporary wicked people. (Matthew 11:7, 16-19; 12:39, 45; 17:14-17; Acts 2:5, 6, 14, 40) It was not, as such, a description of a fixed length of time beginning with a specific date." (The Watchtower, May 1, 1997, p. 29)

"In fact, "Questions From Readers" in that same issue of The Watchtower focused on two key points: "A generation of people cannot be viewed as a period having a fixed number of years" and, "The people of a generation live for a relatively brief period."

We often use "generation" in this way. For example, we might say, 'The soldiers of Napoléon's generation knew nothing about airplanes and atom bombs.' Would we be referring just to soldiers who were born in the very same year as Napoléon was? Would we be referring merely to those French soldiers who died before Napoléon did? Of course not; nor would we by such a use of "generation" be trying to fix a set number of years. We would, though, be referring to a relatively short period, not hundreds of years from Napoléon's time into the future." (The Watchtower, May 1, 1997, p. 29)

• rebel8
    rebel8

As the other poster said, I too have heard nothing about 2014. Was that in the literature somewhere?

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Donald - According to the Lord's Witnesses (The Bible Code), the year 2014 holds significance :-

2014Elul7 year kingship malediction on 2NC saints ends. We start ruling the Kingdom on earth under the authority of the 1NC saints. The evening meal of the lamb's marriage is finished. We have learned how to run the Kingdom of God - hopefully.

Armaggedon having finished in 2008 (elul).....

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

In the late 1960s, the Society began looking to 1975 as the time they expected the end of the system and Armageddon.

They based the "Last Generation" on Pslam 90:10 which say a generation (defined as a lifespan) is 70 years, and if one has special mightiness, it is 80 years.

The Society initially reasoned that the Last Gneration of JWs, well past the age of reason, say 12 to 14 years old in the year 1914, and old enough to comprehend the events of the day, would be close to the 75 years of age when the end of 6,000 would take place in the year 1975 ... all of this seemed "fitting" as the "appropriate time for God to act" (10/8/68 Awake!) and bring in Armageddon.

The Society held to this idea until 1975 came and went ... and they tried stretching the "Last Generation" to mean chldren born in 1914, then they included non-JWs, such as very old people in Siberia who were living past 100 years of age, and finally, they dropped the teaching and blamed the readers of the Watchtower for reading too much into their writings. Then years after a half-hearted apology for being over-eager in their prophetic speculations, they invented a ...

NEW GENERATION that never dies, but is always made up of the people living at the time Armageddon arrives. Cool escape ... and one they had to take to wiggle out of the problems they had with their false prophecies.

Ray Franz gave a great history of this in his book, Crisis of Conscience.

• donald
    donald

ok i most likely did not make myself clear...sorry...what i meant is........the jws have said that within one generation from 1914 and that would be 70 to 85 years this system of things will end

if we see 2014...that will be one century....more than a generation...yes i know there could be persons still alive from 1914 but not much.....so i guess my question (that has been ansered...) would be whats there reply to this???? donald...hope this helps clear what i meant...sorry so vauge....donald

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

The reply would be that they dont believe this anymore. When we pasted the 80 year mark in '94 they had to redefine the word 'generation' to mean simply the contemporary evil human society who would be destroyed at Armaggeddon.

This new light was passed off as an adjustment, but it really was a major change.

• donald
    donald

thanks to all for the post and help...donald

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit