Monogamy - true or false?

by Stephen John Gault 25 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie
    I don't need to tell my partner about my "non-monogamous nature. " My wife see's cakes and pies and chocolate everyday....but she's got the sense to tell herself if she eats what she would like to eat she'll get a big huge fatass.

People do the same who are married when they see others who look nice that are not their mates.It would be fun and pleasurable....but the consequences of unfaithfulness prevent them. Regardless of whether monogamy has gods opinion on it or not......screwin around when your married produces bad fruit.

Good answer, gumby!

Blondie

• gumby
    gumby

Thanks Blondie.......hey....do you think all the women on here are gonna want me now?

Gumby

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    SJG: Oldsoul - ever fantasized about anyone other than your girl of the time?

Thinking, despite the WTS views, is not unhealthy. Imagination is a wonderful way to keep a marriage interesting and lively.

• gumby
    gumby
    Imagination is a wonderful way to keep a marriage interesting and lively.

*wonders if he's ever thought about MY wife*

Gumby

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

I think many people, including most religions, just dont understand how to interpret what the Bible really teaches. I dont think we are supposed to comply with everything in it, that would be impossible anyway because everything is so contradictory. JWs and others try to solve this puzzle by thinking in terms of which laws are extant and which are not. Wrong thinking!

Throughout the Bible old ways and old laws are superseded by newer ways. For example in the New Testamant the royal law of love 'fulfills' and 'negates' ALL previous laws. In other words it is no longer so much what we do as the motivation, and whether it can hurt others. Most things are therefore based on cnscience rather than whether there is a rule about it. Dont you think?

Perhaps we should apply this to the question of monogomy, what is the likely overall impact on the spiritual well being of each other by one policy or another? Pauls letter to Corinthians (Ch 8) gives his view of the motives behind waht might have appeared his advice to keep some aspects of mosaic law.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Despite what you have seen, I have seen a little bit of both things. Some are like springs wound tightly and let loose: they explore the varied ways that humans express their sexuality with abandon and glee. Others: they go on as before, quietly enjoying their married lives and being monogamous.

Human sexuality is quite complex and defies pigeon-holing. Some humans, because of their makeup, cannot be monogamous, and some are quite fulfilled by it. Others are serial monogamists, others view casual dating and sex as their way of life. Some experience same sex unions, and return to heterosexuality, others prefer homosexuality. It's really too complicated to put labels on, and I don't think we should try to.

I prefer monogamy, and my husband does, too! Oprah had a show on a while back that had men speaking candidly about their infidelities. One man said that he believed that 99% of men cheated on their wives, and the other 1% were lying about it. I talked to my husband about this show, and he made a good point: the men saying and agreeing with this were cheaters! Hmmm...

Anyway, I believe it's perfectly healthy to sometimes fantasize about other people. Just because you're married doesn't mean you're dead! To act on it is another thing, unless both parties consent to it.

I would have liked to be monogamous with Gumby, but he's already taken... hehehhe.

CG

• Stephen John Gault
    Stephen John Gault

Master and Johsons and later McKinsey performed the studies on "infidelity" and came up with fairly high percentages, 70-78% of men "cheating" and women about 16% lower, though they believed they had to adjust men's number downward and women's upward, as men tended to brag about their prowess, whereas women would even conceal it from their best friends. After adjusting for those phenomena, men's numbers were not that dramatically different to women's, but for different reasons. For those advocating monogamy, do you know when that was imposed on humans and why? Non-monogamyst and even polygamyst societies are still prevalent, just not in the Judeo-Christian circles. Why is that? Has anyone questioned the rule, before they condemn and destroy those who's human nature defies this imposed of late, artificial existence? I find it particularly curious, that the 70% cheating males should also exist within this Board, yet none other than one gay guy spoke about his "infidelity". Me thinks, people are still living the same, but only slightly different lies they lived as JW's.

• gumby
    gumby

CountryGirl.....don't go and get me all flaccid again...,.,ya hear!

Just thinking about the friends I have.....I think most of them are true to their mates. A few under the right circumstances( which means a sure fire way of their wives never finding out) would. Who's to say under strange circumstances that anyone's immune to unfaithfulness? To me ....these are different than predator cheaters.

Gumby

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Brumbles!!!

You're up???

ozzie

• gumby
    gumby

I'm up? !!!!!

Look who's talkin! Ain't it like 3 in the morning over there ya knucklehead? You ain't still wearin that turbin and scarin your wife are ya?

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit