WTBTS and the Cross

by Honesty 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

...and there are other experts that refute that...

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

I remember a woman from our cong used to love to comment, "If Jesus was shot with a .45, would you wear a little gold gun around your neck? It's disgusting!"

Talk about missing the point...

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

It was common practice for the romans to execute people on crosses - it was their "thing". Another thing is that the sign "Jesus: King of the Jews " was nailed above his head not his hands.

I usually like to throw in "well I"m going to put a stake around my neck" just to stir the already boiling pot with some witties.

And the point is not what he died on. Why did he die? Like reagon_oconnor said "talk about missing the point" One could not measure how far off the mark the JWs' are.

• Narkissos
  • Faraon
    Faraon

I just had a wicked thought. You know the torture stake picture that the WT publishes?

What if instead of the INRI sign above his head you could see the top of a watchtower?

Too bad I donĀ“t have photoshop,

Faraon

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA

I have not read all of the posts here, so I am sorry if someone already said this, but when Russell formed the org, his original symbol was a Cross inside a Crown, so at one time, the cross was used and its members actually wore them as symbols of their faith.

The reason I have heard is that who would want to wear something that a family member died on or by. I.e. if a family member was shot, who would want to wear a gun as jewelry.

I have also heard it said that wearing a cross is like worshiping an idol, and this one I find absolutely ridiculous.

My mother is deadset against wearing a cross or having one in her house at all. I find this type of logic still mind controlling and trying to take the Christian out of the religion. After I was saved a few months back, a friend of mine that we had shunned for many years because she had left the org and then went back into a church and my mom said she had stepped back into babylon the great, so we shouldn't have anything to do with her (remember my parents and family left the org 10 years ago, but my parents still hold the beliefs and customs). So once I was saved and out from under the org's hold, I contacted this family friend and apologized to her for my own actions toward her and she sent me a cross made out of silver and I LOVE IT, it is so pretty!!! I wear it to church!

Ash who was saved and is now born again and goes to a Baptist church (wow how things change!)

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA

Sorry to double post, but I was thinking about John 20:25 where it talks about Thomas wanting to see the marks of the nails in Jesus hands before he'd believe, well I noticed the plural nails in the KJB and decided to see with the NWT says and look at what it says below.

KJB: John 20:25 says The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

NWT: John 20:25 Consequently the other disciples would say to him: ?We have seen the Lord!? But he said to them: ?Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and stick my finger into the print of the nails and stick my hand into his side, I will certainly not believe.?

If Jesus were indeed crucified on a torture stake, as the WTS teaches, this scripture should not have had "nails" as plural because the way they say that he was killed was hands over head with hands on top of each other and a single nail driven through both hands. So, this word should be singular "in his hands the print of the nail" not nails.

Ash

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

What's wrong is the wt doesn't do that much research. In Christ's day Roman punishment was crucifixion. Meaning a cross beam over another beam. As for the proper language no greek word from koine exists, not even today.

As my observation over the years many JWs are self-centered and and not so sure of themselves. It's just my opinion, but why won't they hang around if their idea of God is so accurate? If their faith is really challenged their faith should be strong enough to take it....But instead thy run.

If Jehovah God is there with them why run?

• gumby
    gumby

Because J.F.Rutherford was a selfish worthless piece of shit loser who had a drinking problem and the only way he could elevate himself higher than his sober fellowman was to downgrade every belief system and their practices, and set up his OWN belief system with it's own language and set of rules. By doing this.......he felt better about himself inspite of ruining others lives. Personally, I hope the bastard was reincarnated a fly and eats cow poop for the rest of his miserable life. He was a pud if their ever was one.

Gumby

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Gumby, Gumby, Gumby... <hands on hips, disappointed look on face>

How many times have I told you that this tendency of yours to sugar-coat your feelings is not good for you. In our therapy sessions we seemed to be making such progress too. <sad face here>

J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit