Pyramid Schemes - Melaleuca - MLM

by NOdenial 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Yeh, of all of them I like the pampered chef--I still have that apple potato peeler that makes them into curley cues--used it about twice in 10 years, but it was fun

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

My sis in law is involved in Melaluca. She got my hubby and I involved a few years ago. How can you say no to family? It's funny, they were so against Amway, but I didn't see much difference between the two.

It was very hard to have to keep ordering so much money worth of product every month, especially with just the two of us, maybe a family would be different. The products were ok, but they weren't all that special IMHO.

We never signed anyone up, I could not go to others in the hall and try to recruit, just not me. We finally stopped getting the stuff.

Went to a taped showing of their national conference and I couldn't wait to get out of there! It was really creepy, just way tooooo much like an assembly.

BB

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Hey BB-

-Have you heard that story about JWs being on the board at Melalueca and that is why it is all so wonderful? Just wondering if this is still the story going around.

cybs

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Cyber sister: we took have the apple/potato peeler. At my house we refer to it as the apple torture device. Makes it a little more fun to use.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I have to disagree with the statement that MLM companies are another business and it only takes hard work to make it successful.

I was involved with one MLM 25 years ago. What they tell you and what is reality two different things. Before I got involved they said it would only take about 5 hours a week to make the business successful, after which they wanted me to spend a few hours a night at business meetings.

First because of everyone up line taking a cut in the profits, the products are over priced. Why should I but something that I can get in a store for a fraction of the price.

I have read statistics since that says less than 1% of all distributors eventually make enough money to live on. I think that you would have a better chance at winning the lottery than make it successful in MLM. I copied the following link that shows how

Out of 35,000 Distributors, 41% or 14,350 will be Active, out of the Active ones, 2% or 287 will become Direct Distributors and only 5 or 1.7% of those Direct Distributors will become Diamond Distributors. Five out of 35,000 make enough money to live on!!! I would rather take my chances with the Lottery.

Another thing they don't tell you is when you get up to the Diamond Direct Level you make a percentage on all the motivational tapes, books etc. that are sold at the business seminars. They also get big money to speak at the big rallies. I read somewhere they could make somewhere between $10,000 to $20,000, for just one weekend.

Lets not call it free enterprise but call it was it is a pyramid scam.

Will

• JT
    JT

this guy is the "Ray Franz" of the Amway world

he tells it like it is and explains in detail how money is really made- IT IS NOT DUE TO SELLING PRODUCTS

this is the best info i have every read on AMWAY in terms of LOOK BEHIND THE CURTAIN

• JT
  • IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Ya I know an elder who is related to me who was/is way into melmacloosa. I dunno it always made me uneasy when they'd start pushing that stuff. Reminds me of a snake oil salesman. Anyhooo he was one of those guys that made a killing in it. I havent talked to him in a while. I dont know if he is still in it or even if he's still serving.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Will & JH,

As I have mentioned before, I have owned several successful businesses, and I know what it takes to make it.

In addition, I know some very high ranking people in a couple of MLMs, and I clearly know where money is made, and what it takes to make it in that business as well, as I have seen first hand.

As I have studied these MLM's, yes, there is one common complaint. They make money off of the training materials. As a businessman, I must ask, "So What??"

Why is it so wrong to design a business to make money? From what I have seen, many people have access to making money on those items, so you don't have to be all the way to the top in order to make it.

How many people here enjoy Anthony Robbins?? I bet quite a few who have heard him, do enjoy him. News flash! He makes money on his tapes, and his speaking engagements. Why is that not wrong? I think he is great. But, most people can never duplicate what he has done. But he makes millions from his postive mental attitude books, tapes, and seminars.

Those big guys in the MLM's have done it, and they can show others how to do it. So why should they not get paid for their own speaking engagements, or maybe a tape?

Many of those who complain about these types of businesses just don't understand business. That is all it is. Business. If the guy on the bottom wants to make money, all he has to do is what they guy on the top did. And the guy on the top is there to help him. After all, the more the little guy makes, the more the big guy makes. Win/ win. Never worked that way when I worked for other people. And my employees will never make as much as I do. Is that wrong? The fact is, that the second anyone stops making money for the owner of a company, guess what? You are gone! Fired!

That being said, I do believe it is wrong to deceive someone into thinking that no one makes any money on the training materials. The people that I know clearly state up front that some money is made from those items.

One more thing to think about. One popular complaint is that supposedly it takes about 50 cents to make a tape and duplicate it. They complain that the big guy does this, and then sells it for 7 bucks. Oh my God, look at the big mark up. Well, first of all, the difference is usually split between quite a few people, so it is not like one guy only makes that amount. Second, who cares? Third, how about complaining to the music industry for selling that same tape or c/d for $17.99. After all, it only costs 50 cents to make.

Again, business. That is all it is. If people cannot understand that, then fine, go get a job. Just make sure your boss doesn't make any money off of you.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

The bottom line to make money in MLM it is nothing to do with hard work but timing. In Amway most of the Direct Diamonds have been in the business at ground level. No matter what you say it is a pyramid scam. You are making money off the hard work of others. If it was all to do with making money off of selling products that would be fine but it isn't. The selling the products are secondary. I know as being involved you were to try to convert or show others the business plan. I tried but everyone had heard of Amway and they were not interested.

To me it was no different in being a JW. You were pushing something that no one was interested in. I have a few relatives involved in MLM. Most of them wouldn't give you the time of day but will only talk to you because they see a potential recruit. Like a used car salesman or realtor, they are only being freindly with you to make money.

Also I have seen those snake salesmen on TV and they are doing the same thing, selling an idea so they make money. I say if their money making schemes are so good why don't work them themselves?

Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit