Gentle Guidance

by AuntieJane 21 Replies latest jw friends

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Ok, I'm the motherly type. I can't help it. So, I have a young friend going thru some tough times now. Former JW, but I'm not sure he's ready to come to the board. Some posts are pretty cynical, and he's dealing w. depression but not getting any professional help that I know of.

When you first came here, did you find it comforting...frightening...or...? Did it help you? Any lurkers who would like to offer their opinions would be welcome.

Thanks, hope you know what I'm trying to say...I just don't want this kid hurt anymore than he has been.

AuntieJ

• Jordynne
    Jordynne

I am not a JW and am fairly new here.

I find it quite shocking. Your JW friend would not cope here quite yet in my opinion.

Try some reading that is suggested first....and a lot of moral support.

jord

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

When I first found JWD I was almost frightened off (but that was when I dropped into chat). As to the board itself, I found it refreshing, reassuring, startling, disturbing, strange, comforting, and after the first several times I kept thinking I wasn't going to come back because of all the feelings it stirred up in me. But I did keep coming back and it's one of the best things that ever happened to me.

Still, I wasn't depressed when I discovered it so I can't address it from that angle...

(nor am i very young)

~Merry

• Scully
    Scully

You know your friend better than we do, AuntieJane.

Personally, I found it really helpful in the beginning of my exit from JWs to realize that there were other people out there just like me. The WTS is so high up on the pedestal for many JWs, that they can't imagine that the Organization is wrong, and they internalize all their doubts and misgivings about things that are happening in their lives with respect to the JWs. Knowing that I was not the only person who felt the way I did worked wonders for my severe depression.

Maybe if he isn't ready to visit the site, you could copy and paste experiences that he would be able to relate to into emails for him to read.

Cheers, Scully

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

Have you thought about getting your friend the COC book?

• carla
    carla

I'm not jw but found this board almost overwhelming. Might try Tishie/Randy's board (network 54)? Not as many people to keep track of and not as informational (i.e. like Blondies great info), I guess more personal. I think when I asked long time ago about this board someone compared it to- this board like a very busy coffee house and the Tishie board as a smaller more intimate place. Good luck to your friend, carla

• skyman
    skyman

I suggest have him come and read the posts. I did this for over four years before I started leaving any posts myself. If it was not for MerryMagdalene I would not be posting on this board. It has help me alot in the past to read the post.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

sorry, some of my posts are cynical. i have to get over that anger. but when i first came here, i was still way in the org. the first thing that really struck me was that everyone seemed so confident in their chosen life course, and many where even pretty positive about being in the world. the anger in some of the posts did not really surprise me becauase i already knew that apostates and DF'd people were probably angry with the org anyways. it's the positive people with a rational head on their shoulders that made the initial impression on me.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

You are all so helpful. No need to apologize for cynicism, it is understandable given most backgrounds here!

Please continue your replies, they are great!

AuntieJ

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Unless they are already on their way out and have a tough skin, this may not be the best choice for a first board. It would have driven me into defensive mode when I first left. I started with WomenAwake on Yahoo groups. Tishie's board may be a good first step. It's a good place to open a person's eyes, and then send em here for their post graduate work.

J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit