What Now

by LouBelle 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Welcome to JWD. My advice is to remain open to any and everything. Don't be afraid to challenge your most cherished beliefs. You could be more content with the truth.

GBL

• Sirona
    Sirona

Welcome Loubelle!

Firstly WELL DONE on actually breaking free and thinking for yourself!

When I left JWs, I did the same thing as you, I attended another church for a while. Fortunately I didn't join or get too entangled in a "church" - I simply read a lot and thought long and hard about my beliefs. I strongly believe now that there are many paths out there, each as valid as the other. You just need to find yours.

Nowadays I'm Wiccan (a form of neopaganism) and I've been careful to only join a group who are NOT controlling. (basically I attend once a month, and I don't even have to do that if I don't want to or can't ge there for any reason).

I wish you all the blessings in the world. Just keep reading and educate yourself as much as possible on the origins of religion and the bible.

Sirona

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

It's great seeing all the various paths that you've all taken. Also, welcome aboard Loubelle! You'll find your journey a very interesting one.

When I left the JWs, I wanted nothing more to do with religion. However, after about a year, I figured I should try and join another religion. I still felt that one NEEDED religion in their life. So, I tasted some information about a "religion" that had a fascinating aspect to it; SETI (Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence). It seems that no real religion has been formed with these beliefs which surprises me, but it's still interesting. It also made a lot more sense to me than Jesus being some spirit guy who took on a fleshly form. If I'm gonna believe something wacky, make it completely fiction!

Because of SETI and Farkel's posts here on how goofy the bible is, I have formed my own conclusions. I've disregarded the bible as an important book, and have developed the opinion that it is a book made up of fiction, fables, and bedtime stories.

As for my own personal happiness, I've quit focussing on making some invisible god happy, and have focussed on making myself happy. I went to the roots of all my psychological and behavioral problems, and worked on fixing them. I'm not at 100% and I never will be, but I'm much more functional and happier than I've ever been in my life.

I wish you the absolute best on your journey.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I keep saying I am going to go to a local UU church, but the one near me meets sooo early in the morning on Sundays, hahah....I don't know if I will ever get there....okay it is not that early it is only 1030

• Carmel
    Carmel

You're free to read my bio.

carmel

• moanzy
    moanzy

Hi Loubelle,

After I left the JWs I didn't go to any church for about a year. I did start attending the First Baptist Church in my area about 9 months ago. I did it part because of my kids and wanting them to be educated about God . I want to be able to educate them on cults. The other part for going was because if JWs aren't right, then maybe these other religions might have something and I just didn't know it.

What I have found out is that religion is just religion. All need people in order to survive. Some seem to be better at controlling or guilting people into to coming. Mine at this time is not controlling me yet, but I have heard stories about how some have been treated.

I got the same feeling you did. What I have come to the conclusion though, is that it isn't from going to a certain church, but more about realizing we weren't even close to living the life that Jesus wants us to. I found relief in just accepting the simple message of accepting Jesus as our Savior. That is a far cry from --go door to door every Sat, 5 meetings a week, only associate with certain ones etc.... and PROBABLY we will be saved. You just couldn't do enough and so you stayed in a constant state of guilt. Don't forget about all your faults and everything you need to work on unless you are an elder or Co.

I hope you find happiness if you choose to stay with that religion. Just remember that religion is just religion. If things start to not feel right....GET OUT! Religion is manmade and Jesus can work outside of religion.

Moanzy

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Thank you so much for your support. It's great to know that there are people out there going through or that have been through the same thing. I must say that i don't want to leave one religion and dive headlessly into another - I went to a couple their church services and appreciated in a weird sense that everything they taught went against what I believed.

I haven't been back for about 2 months as I know I need to look into this myself - I don't need to go from a JW God to a Born Again God. I'm open to everything these days & it's so wonderful knowing that I have the freedom to talk , to challenge , to discuss different beleifs.

ljwtiamb - it's not the easiest thing to do but I just came to the realisation that I no longer trusted the organisation - they had lied so much - I'm still finding out about all their prophesies - ah and just so much other stuff.

AGAIN THANK YOU SO MUCH.....IT'S GREAT TO BE ABLE TO EXPRESS ONES' SELF.

Yes I do celebrate birthdays - YAY - Birthday cake will not kill you. (even christmas last year - though I still felt a bit 'scared'. But I did go all out - Tree, Lights, Decorations, Pressies, Lunch - you name it - It was like I was a kid again. GREAT!)

Like I said - I feel like a baby learning all over again. Please anyone feel free to express what your beliefs are - I'm open to discussion & good debate.

As for extra terrestrial beings - I haven't ruled that out either. I"ve been having the most healthy debate with a 'wordly' uncle.

Grace to all.

• dh
    dh
    I found the "emptiness" inside me was the self loathing I was raised with.

here here, even if you don't think your parents raised you with self loathing, being raised a jw means you are raised by a whole lot more than just your parents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit