Why did you chose to join a cult?

by Gill 39 Replies latest jw friends

• luna2
    luna2

If I had known it was a cult I'm pretty sure I would have closed the door in their faces the first time they rang my doorbell. LOL Hell, even after being involved for 16-17 years and inactive for 3, I still didn't realize it was a cult....until I came here.

I was always interested in what mankind's purpose and destiny was. Don't know if growing up with the shadow of the Viet Nam War hanging ominously overhead had something to do with this or not, but what came after death was on my mind a lot from the time I was about 11 or so on. Did we go to a "heaven" or a "hell", did we go on to be born again as humans, forgetting our previous lives and hoping to improve until we graduated to.....? I was interested in mysticism, reading all about Edgar Casey and others who supposedly were in touch with the spirit realm. I didn't stress about these things, but I was very interested. I tried reading the Bible, but got pretty lost, especially in the Old Testament.

I grew up, got married and had kids and didn't have too much time to worry about this stuff much for a time. My marriage was pretty much crap from the beginning, but we (more like I) kept trying to pull it together for the next 9 years. I was finally coming to admit to myself that it was never going to work and that I needed to move on, which was very, very hard for me. I don't let go of anything easily or quickly.

I was miserable and searching for meaning in life when I saw a guy on TV, in a regular suit, sitting behind a desk, talking reasonably about the Bible...and actually explaining what stuff meant. I can't remember what the group is called now, but they are the ones with The Plain Truth magazine. I was impressed that they weren't crazy evangelical types screaming at their followers to repent with tears streaming down their faces or smacking people on the forehead declaring them healed in some dramatic display before begging for contributions. I would try to catch their half-hour show whenever I could, although there was some frustration with the way they always seemed to leave their explanations unfinished. They sure primed the pump, though, because when I first met the Witnesses, it was like I recognized them.

I'd just moved to Illinois from Alaska, and had just gotten settled in (alone...husband was still in Alaska and was scheduled to go straight from there to Georgia for Advanced Officer Training) when JW's knocked on my door. Here I was, lost, on my own with two young children, no friends in a new town, pretty sure I was about to be discarded by my husband, full of questions ....and they had answers. It was like finding water in the desert at the time. I didn't understand then that I was trading my freedom and my future for a utopian pipedream.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I was contacted in the door-2-door work. I was disgusted with a lot of things that I couldn't control in my life ( never having enough money, living in less than desirable housing because nobody would rent to us having five kids, the kids always being teased and bullied, etc.) I just longed for something better and didn't see anything in the near future for my family to look forward to.

I was also very depressed. the parish priest said that we had to dig up the money for the kids First Communion...money for him, and four white Confirmation outfits and shoes, plus the party we were expected to have after the ceremony.......and I was pregnant with my last baby. The priest had said that if we didn't get the money in a week, that he would not confirm them and that we would all be going to Hell because of this.

It turned into a huge argument when hubby came in from work and heard all of this. He went ballistic and told the priest off! So, the next week the JWs came to the door, and promised a paradise earth where magic beans when planted in the yard, would grow to the skies and would bring us to heaven and we would all live happily ever after........ooops, wrong fairy tale.

Anyway, the rest is (bad) history and I spent 30 years waiting for something good to happen..........

Annie

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Ah Annie! I'm so please you've gotten out of that. We all believed the magic beans story. And just the other night my gran said to me "what do I tell grandpa when he is resurrected in the paradise) Since this whole thing has been recent for me it hurt to think she had made her mind up, But I replied....."Tell grandpa I'm in Gods' glory" not the reply she expected.

• xjwms
    xjwms

Gill: Good question

Blondie: Thank you for the correct answer.

Some of us were taught from young on, this is the way. So we went that way. Anyway, ... that is the way it WAS for me.

• Gill
    Gill

Hi All!

LouBelle - Were you born a Witness? Try not to fret too much over Grandma's comments. JWs are always seeing the rest of us as bird food!

OldSoul - Born into the madness - seems to be the case for a lot of us, sadly.

Charisma - Did your mother read the blue Truth book?

Kls -

luna2 - Seems as if you were the kind of vulnerable person they look for and then 'love bomb' , until your trapped that is!

Sunspot - Oh yes! The magic beans story!

xjwms - we were all conned. We were lulled to sleep by the nice magic beans story. Then we stopped using our own brains.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Have you ever sat down with a salesperson, convinced they couldnt sell you something you didnt want to buy? It just takes one weak moment, and the foot is in the door...I have certainly bought stuff in this way and regretted later.

• Gill
    Gill

But did you ever Really believe it, Jaffacake? This bugs me that people believe, or want to believe that they don't have to worry or do anything about anything. God's gonna sort it all out! Just sell our mags and bore the pants off everyone you meet talking about the WTBTS doctrine and you'll maybe, just maybe live forever!

• doogie
    doogie
    I was very naive and gullible. -- honesty

i think that cults prey upon a weakness (if you want to look at it that way) or maybe just an area of inexperience. my parents weren't raised in it but they are now diehards. they are by no means stupid (uneducated), or especially gullible people but the witnesses had something that filled some hole that they needed filled or answered some question that they hadn't thought to ask before (or hadn't taken the time to answer for themselves).

if someone has studied the bible thoroughly and does not believe that it is inspired, i don't believe that they would be susceptible to the JWs. but maybe that same person had a weak family life and so they may be more easily indoctrinated by some more naturalistic non-bible believing cult. it's just a matter of what " naiveties" are available to be exploited.

• xjwms
    xjwms

magic beans, ........I gonna use that.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

They are selling a paradise earth where nobody dies or has any pain. Its a nice package, very appealing. Unfortunately its bullshit. The people they draw in don't understand cults or how to really think critically.

GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit