Why did you chose to join a cult?

by Gill 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Hi All and thanks for answering!

Doogie - if I remember correctly, we were supposed to be looking for vulnerable people or those who ' were sighing and groaning at the detestable things.....'

GBL - The GB and WTBTS, should be prosecuted under the trade descriptions act for that 'very nice' package that they're selling!

Jaffcake - 'Desperation' is what they're looking for when out on the doors. Only the sad and lonely will stand and listen anyway.

AK-Jeff - By having all the answers in one place and in one religion they do make it sooooo easy and people with tired and perhaps a little depressed minds will want to swallow that bait. You're right.

greendawn - Aaah! Those magic beans again. You were very clever getting out so fast. Well done!

JeffT - "I was on a college campus with a 2 million volume library and it never occured to me to go look them up.!

I did look them up JeffT and it said they were a cult. But I chose to believe all their propaganda that they were not a cult but the only true religion which is why they were being persecuted and called a cult. Silly me!

It was not until I looked on the Internet and then looked at the books as well that it all made sense.

MJ - That's interesting. I've never heard of the Worldwide Church of God! You seem to have more 'wacko' religions in the US akin to the JWs.

love2Bworldly - You were just what they were looking for, vulnerable and lonely. Well done on getting out!

Es - You're right. The JWs do attract the lonely, sad and friendless, but that's who they're looking for anyway.

DanThe Man - "..rebels against the world" - yes that's what it always seemed like to me, but not only that but we were supposed to be the only ones left standing when the end came. Pathetically, survivalistically SAD!

LouBelle - Well done on leaving!

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I joined for all the free kool aid I could consume

• M.J.
    M.J.

Witchcraft, baby. Witchcraft.

Those fingers in my hair.
    That sly
    come hither stare
    that strips my conscience bare
    it's witchcraft.
    And I've got no defense for it.
    The heat is too intense for it.
    What good would common sense for it do?

'Cause it's witchcraft!
    Wicked witchcraft.
    And although I know
    it's strictly taboo

when you arouse the need in me

my heart says "yes indeed" in me

Proceed with what you're leadin' me to!
    It's such an ancient pitch

but one I wouldn't switch
    'Cause there's no nicer witch than you!

• Gill
    Gill

Are we talking about the same 'cult', M.J?

• fairchild
    fairchild

Although I didn't know it was a cult, I chose to join the cult because they had the narrow road to everlasting life in paradise on sale. Who wouldn't want that? Well, that was just one reason. I honestly believed that they had the only truth. Can you blame me?

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

It's A Smiley! Born into it 1957

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

As a young girl, abused by my mother, I would crawl into my own world and think of a place where people would all get along peacefully. there was no reason why it could not happen in my fantasy world.

I married a man that was very abusive to me also. I was searching for something deep and meaningful in my life. I thought it was religion. I was raised Catholic.

The witnesses came to my door and within an hour I thought I found the truth I had been searching for all my life. I was very attracted to world peace and was eager and happy to join the cause, make the necessary adjustments to do it.

It was not until almost 20 years later, when my life was not in a constant turmoil, I had time to actually think. There are many things the witnesses do that I still find positive, but the control over its "subjects" makes it impossible to carry it out. They sing a good song, and appeal to the most vulnerable, deepest part of you, your very soul..........your heart, your deepest desires for good and love.

That is why so many leave so angry, hurt, scared, vengeful, distraught.

I did not think I was joining a cult at all when I did,

purps

• "Heathen" Biker Babe
    "Heathen" Biker Babe

Even though I am glad to be out, I have no regrets for joining. I was one person who lacked any direction as far as being a Christian despite having gone to the Methodist church as a youth. Studying the bible and learning it was very beneficial to my life. Learning to be a Christian in the utmost sense has been a lesson that is priceless to me. Now, my definition of being a Christian and the JW definition are not one in the same that is why we are no longer together in our way of thinking. We were taught that you would know God's people if they had love among themselves. Sure, they don't kill each other in war but what about how you are treated in the congregation?. If that was what love was all about, I sure didn't want it.

Now I have friends from all walks of life. Unconditional love, now that's what it's all about. I have lesbian friends that I don't judge. That is up to God. All I have to do is show love and that is easy. I don't have to try and be perfect anymore. That is damn liberating!!!!!! A personal relationship with Jesus is what it is all about. I only have to answer to him, not the elder patrol or anyone else.

Dee, who escaped, thank God!!!!!!!

• Gill
    Gill

Hi fairchild - Nobody blames you. I think your story shows that a lot of people swallow the fantasy they're selling.

Then oneday they wake up with a bit of a shock.

DannyHaszard - I had the same problem. So much more difficult to leave when you lose everyone.

purplesofa - You were conned. That's the thing with the JW religion. Your life is busy from just living anyway. Then they add enormous burdens of study, meetings, field service.....There's never anytime to think. Then one day you wake up and start thinking and there's no way back. You're finally on the road to freedom.

"Heathen" Biker Babe - Welcome! Glad you found real love. There's non in JW land but you don't need me to tell you that, do you.

• M.J.
    M.J.
    Are we talking about the same 'cult', M.J?

It was a Rat Pack movie weekend... It's M.J.'s zany way of sayin it's all about sly seduction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit