What is the big deal about prom? - Virgin Post

by bricklayer 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Sith
    Sith

I was hoping this thread would have more about virgins and less about proms. Damn

Another sad example of the Watchtower's insatiable appetite for making children of Jehovah's Witnesses miserable via the infliction of unnecessary emotional distress. I'd like to tar and feather the governing body for all the past and present exploitation and abuse of children promoted by the Watchtower Society. These old creeps ought to get some justice for their sins.

• love11
    love11

Because they are like puritian's! If your having fun it's probably wrong. LOL

Also, because some people choose to go wild after the party. I wasn't allowed to go to my prom, I wanted to go so bad!!! But the next day I found out what really happened at a prom. Most people (like me), just sat and hoped that someone would ask them to dance but only the guy who was constantly bugging you all year long bothered to ask. And the only people that were sexually active or drunk the night of the prom, were the kids that were already doing that stuff. At least that's how it was in my school.

I guess the jw's don't trust, that you will do the "right" thing when hanging out with all of those worldly kids. But if your faith so weak that a stupid school party will make you give that up, then that probably isn't your true religion of choice. They don't see it that way though. Suppress those worldly desires to wear an ugly taffeta dress and drink too much punch, it's SATAN trying to entice you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Btw- Welcome to the board! Nice to meet you! ( excuse me for being ornery today.)

• bricklayer
    bricklayer

Thnak's for the feedback. My daughter is starting to see th high degree of control with out satfisactory explanations. Hopefully, this will enable her to overcome the severe quilt trip here mother is laying on her. Just was looking for some addition ammunition to help her to understand what's up. Bricklayer

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Welcome bricklayer,

sir82 said:

In our Public Talk on Sunday, we were told that high school dances are "known for" encouraging drug abuse, drunkenness, and fornication

That same old line of BS. If they can't go to the prom and high school dances then where do JW teenagers go to get into drugs, booze and doing "it"? God knows that most of them are!

I let my daughter go to her prom in 1989 with a "brother", and I was an elder at the time. I figured if they found out, they would have to deal with me first. They found out and nothing was said. All it did was make the other teens PO's because they weren't allowed to go.

The dubs I was associated with would probably use this as ammunition to say that my liberal attitude is why me and my daughter lost Jehovah's spirit and are no longer in the "truf". Well....over half of the teens who couldn't go to the prom are no longer JW's either. Ha Ha! At least we have real happiness today.

HappyDad

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Welcome Bricklayer!

I feel so awful because I raised my kids as JWs although I wasn't one until I was about 30. My kids didn't go to the Proms or any other "extra" goings-on other than classes. Now I feel they missed out on so many things that normal kids do, milestones of their teen years and the chance to mature socially.

We were taught that the END was always coming at any moment, and that all the "worldy" people would be gone, so it wouldn't matter anyway. But here we sit.....my kids are in thei late 30s and early 40s, and the other schoolmates are still here as well. It's such a farce!

The WTS is stifling their growth while promoting a false world that they cannot deliver.

It's just plain wrong.

Annie

• Buster
    Buster

Maybe your daughter would get really ticked of if she understood that this is something that varies from congregation to congregation. In my hall we had a whole passle of kids around the same age. And most of us went to proms. I went to three - two of them with prom princesses. They were a ton of fun.

LHJ: I use that 'Off like a prom dress' line all the time. It used to embarrass the heck out of my daughter.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Just so you know, we don't have a direct equivalent in the UK, I think it is a very American thing. I guess the closest you would get would be the "freshers ball" for new graduates at the start of university education. And of course, that level of education itself was frowned upon and probably still is I guess.

• Banshee
    Banshee

I did not get to go to the prom and, I must admit, that it hurt me.....not as much as other things that I didn't get to do as an "exemplary" JW kid but it hurt me. My senior year, I was asked to the prom by a very good looking athlete whom I did not even know, up to that point, liked me. As a left out, unpopular JW kid, it would have felt good to have been on the arm of a star athlete and dressed to the nines.

<<feels sad remembering>>

Welcome to the board, bricklayer!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit