What is the big deal about prom? - Virgin Post

by bricklayer 18 Replies latest jw friends

• bricklayer
    bricklayer

Hi everyone, another lurker comes out.

My question is, What is the big deal about going to high school prom? Other than the usual bad associations spoil useful habits, can anybody thing of other specific reasons why JDubs are so anti-prom. My daughter is getting extreme static from here mother (my ex) and I am looking for any suggestions as how I can help. BTW, my daughter is not baptized yet, I am DF'd, and her mother is still "in the truth" (yea right).

Any ways, just wanting to get my feet wet, and enjoy playing in the water with all you open minded truth seekers.

Bricklayer

• Chia
    Chia

I'm not sure about this, but the reasons I was given was mostly "bad association". Same went for pretty much any afterschool activity. Especially at prom were you more susceptible to underage drinking, pressure to have sex and do drugs, yada yada yada and BS.

So will your daughter definitely not be allowed to go? I would think if you have her that weekend, she can go if you let her go. Of course, who would want to be put in that position and deal with that friction? I didn't go to my junior prom, I feel bad that I missed out on it, but I got over it eventually. Your daughter probably will too. But I don't see the harm in her going. Just my humble opinion.

Edited to say: Welcome!

• sir82
    sir82

In our Public Talk on Sunday, we were told that high school dances are "known for" encouraging drug abuse, drunkenness, and fornication.

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

Sex, drugs, rock-n-roll...

Bad, bad, bad...

HS

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

I Love You Mug 2 Welcome bricklayer

It's all about: cult milieu Control

"Milieu" is a French word meaning "surroundings; environment." Cults are able to control the environment around their recruits in a number of ways, but almost always using a form of isolation. Recruits can be physically separated from society, or they can be warned under threat of punishment to stay away from the world's educational media, especially when it might provoke critical thinking. Any books, movies or testimonies of ex-members of the group, or even anyone critical of the group in any way are to be avoided.

Information is carefully kept on each recruit by the mother organization. All are watched, lest they fall behind or get too far ahead of the thinking of the organization. Because it appears that the organization knows so much about everything and everyone, they appear omniscient in the eyes of the recruits. http://www.freeminds.org/psych/lifton.htm click for more of the 8 signs of a cult.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

How can I add to the above answers? So I will just say a warm welcome and glad to have you aboard.

• kls
    kls

Welcome Bricklayeranother from Wisconsin !!!!! We is taking this place over

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Part of the concern about proms, in general, is that many people lose their virginity on this occasion. You may have heard the expression: off like a prom dress!

LHG

• Dustin
    Dustin

You say it's your "virgin" post. That's the main reason they try and stop the young ones from going to prom. They think it's a big drunken orgy. It's sad because they really ruin the memories of the young ones. They prevent them from feeling normal so they won't leave, because they never feel like they fit in anywhere besides the Kingdom Hall.

• xjwms
    xjwms

Welcome Bricklayer

From Wisconsin oh yea.

Any one else from Wisconsin??? Oh come on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit