One upsmanship...

by hartstrings 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

When I was a regular attender, most of my JW "friends" were pioneers because that is who we spent our days with, LOL. Well, it always annoyed the crap out of me when the pioneers would act like they were so special when they were able to get a new publication prior to its arrival at the local KH. They were basically bragging about their connections. It just always irked me, anyone else?

Also, there was also this race to see who could brag that they finished reading a new publication the fastest. The week after the convention was always the worst. Ughh!

I was so bad. When I would get the publications whether it be magazines in the mail or publications at the convention, I would scan through to see it there were any topics that hadn't been rehashed a zillion times already. Then the thought of having to study it eventually brought tears of boredom to my eyes.

HS

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i remember someone who whenever we were discussing a new publication would always bring out something from the last chapter....found out later it was the only chapter he ever read

• Honesty
    Honesty

The pioneers I went out in service with on a daily basis wore the 411 Badge right after every District Assembly. They were the first to have the 'New Light' that was currently available from the Bros' at Bethel. What sickened me the most was when a lowly publisher was trapped with a carload of pioneers the publisher was subjected to listening to coded talk BS about the new publication.

• Maverick
    Maverick

You can see where the GB would encourage this kind of one upsmanship. They need to create value in otherwise worthless drivel, and they do this by making it something special to get the publications early. This way it was not so much the content of the things written but the possesion of the things written that becomes the prize.

• blondie
    blondie

Jesus said:

"But many that are first will be last and the last first. MATTHEW 19:30

I would always work this scripture into the conversation and how being first was not always a plus in a Christian life.

Jesus was contrasting the religious leaders who were first with the poor people who were considered last and of no account.

Things would get quiet as they saw themselves and then they would get defensive.

But I made my point. I was always willing to wait even when I was a regular pioneer and had contacts. I received a yearbook early from a Bethelite every year and gave it to an older sister I took care of. She shared it by reading installments to the 3 older sisters and 1 older brother that were in the same apartment complex. That Bethelite had no idea how many people their gift made happy.

Now I'm not relating this to say I was so holy, it is just when you have been put down daily in an abusive family, you are sensitive to others being denigrated.

Blondie

• luna2
    luna2

I was the lowly publisher in the car group with Pioneers from time to time. Once one sis who had just graduated (or whatever they do) from Pioneer School brought her notebook so she could share nuggets of the latest wisdom with the group. I don't know if this is something that was handed out at the school or something she put together from her notes...she was that kind of person, very organized and loved doing unnecessary make-work. At any rate, she had pages of little stories and experiences all neatly stored in a three-ring binder. That day we got the homily about some bridge operator who's little kid wandered out on the bridge while no one was looking and the poor man had the choice of allowing either his child to be killed or a bunch of other people (I'm not remembering the story well, maybe this is the "train" story others mentioned in another thead). I had several problems with this little gem, but I could see everybody else was in raptures over it, so I kept my mouth shut. I also wondered if this is what they did in Pioneer School all day...come up with imperfect allegories to share out in field service.

Some other non-Pioneer in the car group asked her about going to P-school, but she was very secretive. I never understood the big mystery. Were Pioneers not supposed to talk about their training in order to encourage others to reach out for this great priviledge?

• TheListener
    TheListener

Luna,

You're so right. If the purpose of the ministry is to build ourselves up and reach right hearted ones, why would the pioneer publication be secretive. They should really be helping everyone know what the pioneers know - so we could all be better in service.

But, if the purpose of the pioneer school and publication is to create a separate class of dubs that are "special" and create buzz around them to make others feel inferior unless they too reach out for that class distinction then the society is doing it just right.

• Chia
    Chia

I remember when I went to Pioneer School, I enjoyed it very much. I used to say it was the best 2 weeks of my life.

I was only 18. Now, I'm only starting to live.

• rebel8
    rebel8

There was also negative one-upmanship too. Every Sunday WT study was a i'm-so-reformed-look-at-me fest. People would get on the mics and go on and on about their stories of "when I was worldly" and talk about how they've done a giant turnaround. It was as if those who didn't have a clergy class title (pioneer, elder, ms, etc) had nothing to brag about except how bad they used to be, combined with some personality flaw creating the urge to brag.

It was a real yawnfest for me. Half of the stories seemed to be made up anyway. AND they were repetitive--same person, same story, different day (surprise).

I always thought it was a negative motive to the "young folks" to go out and try the "wordly" things.

• bennyk
    bennyk

Instead of grabbing and reading the new releases immediately, I often waited until they became available in my other language and then ordered them. Some asked us about this and were informed that if anything really important were to be found in the new release, we could rely on a third party to let us know; anyway, we already had a Bible or two, and so would manage, spiritually. Perhaps my lack of enthusiasm re: WTS publications was a "red flag" (?)

Instead of pioneering and wasting vacation time attending Pioneer School (adding insult to injury), I obtained the book from an e-friend with connections. (Dodged a bullet, there; no extra 900+ FS hours!!!! )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit