WTS and charity?

by gringojj 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

My husband and I went to the elders for help paying our gas bill once. We had three kids then, and he was the only one working at the time, the baby was 2. They told us to apply for public assistance first .

When social service wouldn't help, I took my arse to the mall and got a full time job in retail at a booming 5 bucks an hour! The elders looked kindly upon that and gave us the three hundred bucks we needed to keep our gas on - even commending me for getting a job! WTF!!! They never thought about our family's well being at all, or if that would be best for the children, just as long as they didn't have to worry about helping out in the future.

I remember one family's rental home caught fire, the bros. did take up donations so they could have their clothing cleaned as everything reeked of smoke. I don't know what the family did to obtain new furniture or anything ... they didn't have renters insurance.

Take it one step further - my rental home burned to the ground in 2002, right after Thanksgiving.

My co-workers donated money, food, furniture, appliances, gift cards, and one person anonymously gave me 8 $100.00 mall gift certificates so I could buy my kids some Christmas gifts - AND - all the toys they collected for Toys for Tots were laid out before me to chose what I wanted, plus clothing and misc. household odds and ends. One co-workers UAW husband took up donations at GM, they gave money and a Christmas tree with all the trimmings. That sounds more like what Jesus was talking about

Now THAT'S a love bombing for ya. Me and my kids were extremely grateful.

P.S. And I DID have renters insurance but knowing the check wouldn't come right away, they filled in the gap.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I think the 2 expressions that sum up the WTS view of charity are -

God helps those who help themselves

Charity begins at home (Columbia Heights, Brooklyn)

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

All I hear is the Society are BIG in charity donations, but according to Bible principle do not make known their charitable acts!

• rebel8
    rebel8

There's a thread about it here, in which current JWs comment:

http://www.profindpages.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard//topic.cgi?forum=13&topic=29

Quite interesting read.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

The deadbeat Watchtower corporation pays no municipal taxes on their buildings,without even one charity to compensate the community.

{ do a google search of "Jehovah's Witnesses charities" and see for yourself }

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Jehovah%27s+Witnesses+charities&btnG=Google+Search

• greendawn
    greendawn

The WTS clearly is not charitable despite its billions, otherwise it would be known by now as such. This was one of the things that got me on the way out of there it was strange how they were always demanding so much from the JWs but they were giving nothing in return (if we ignore their so called spiritual food that is poison rather than food).Even people who were faithful Jws for many years received nothing and that's not the Christian spirit.

AS for the article that talks about being charitable that's down right hypocritical, since they don't give the good example in the first place the R&F will ignore that.

In the end this org has the soul and character of a big business and as such charity is the last thing they want to hear about as it deducts from the profits.

• sweet tee
    sweet tee
    In the end this org has the soul and character of a big business and as such charity is the last thing they want to hear about as it deducts from the profits.

On the contrary, big businesses are very charitible. Most if not all charitable donations are tax deductible. It's also considered being a good corporate citizen to give back to the community. Larger corporations like GM, Ford, DaimlerChrysler et al, do a lot for the community. We supply the automotive market and any employe can request a donation to support a charity event. I am in purchasing, most request are approved.

The GB doesn't know squat about big business. How they fell into this grand hustle is truly beyond me.

The snakes.

• Honesty
    Honesty

JW's are induced to GIVE, GIVE, GIVE to the WTBTS and no one else. Vipers and serpents.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit