WTS and charity?

by gringojj 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gringojj
    gringojj

My sister in law was going to have her electricity shut off and she brought her notice to catholic charities and they paid it for her. Makes me wonder would the WTS do the same? Are they known to do anything charitable besides spreading the good news? In my hometown there were seven churches that worked together one day of the week each would hoast a soup kitchen for the hungry of the communtiy. Every day the hungry had a chance for a meal it was 7 different religions working together. That is true love among people regardless of religion. WTS? Anything?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think the only charity the WTS does it is with public dispays and be noticed.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    My sister in law was going to have her electricity shut off and she brought her notice to catholic charities and they paid it for her. Makes me wonder would the WTS do the same?

Hell no!

When I was a Ministerial Servant I remember sitting in on a few meetings where a member on the congregation literally begged the body of elders for any form of help... anything... any little crumb. What did they do EVERY SINGLE TIME? They told to person to go to "Caesar" for help. Never once did I ever see the elders provide one red cent in help to anyone... except for the multi-billion dollar Watchtower Society... so they could print and sell more books.

I recall this one new sister who had broken up with a very abusive and violent boyfriend. He had a key to her "projects" apartment and kept entering and vandalizing the place and sometimes left threatening messages written on the bathroom mirror using lipstick. The police would not do anything because he had a key and therefore could legally enter the premises. (Remember this before you give your key to anyone!!!)

She was very poor and could not afford the $35 fee to replace the locks, so she went to the elders for help. Guess what they gave her: NOTHING. Too bad, so sad... try to find another way to get away from your violent ex-boyfriend.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

The policy for giving to the poor applies only to fellow JWs in good standing. Even then it only happens rarely that funds will be released from the KH account. Usually is ad hoc from fellow members.

But notice the blatant fact that JWs ignor non-members when it comes to charity:

Organized to Do Jehovah's Will page 131-133

CARING FOR THE POOR

One purpose of the money box maintained by Jesus and his disciples was to help the poor. (Mark 14:3-5; John 13:29) That Christian responsibility has continued, for Jesus said: "You always have the poor with you." (Mark 14:7) How do Jehovah's Witnesses discharge their responsibility in this regard today?

At times, faithful ones in the congregation may be in need of material assistance because of advanced age, infirmity, or some adversity beyond their control. Individuals in the congregation who become aware of such a need may feel moved to act in harmony with the words of the apostle John: "Whoever has this world's means for supporting life and beholds his brother having need and yet shuts the door of his tender compassions upon him, in what way does the love of God remain in him? Little children, let us love, neither in word nor with the tongue, but in deed and truth." (1 John 3:17,18; 2 Thess. 3:6-12) True worship includes looking after faithful and loyal ones who may be in need of material assistance. ?Jas. 1:27; 2:14-17.

In his first letter to Timothy, the apostle Paul explained how material assistance may be provided to deserving ones. You can read his counsel at 1 Timothy 5:3-21. The primary responsibility rests with each Christian to care for the needs of his own household. Older or infirm ones should receive assistance from their children, grandchildren, or other close relatives. At times, material assistance is available through governmental or social agencies, so relatives or others may show kindness in helping the needy one to make proper requests for such assistance. A situation may arise where it might become necessary for the congregation as a whole to consider providing some form of assistance to certain needy brothers and sisters who have a long history of faithful service. If there are no family members or other relatives to assist such ones and no adequate assistance from governmental or social agencies is available, the body of elders can make appropriate recommendations to provide some help. Faithful Christians consider it a privilege to share their material possessions with these ones in times of need.

Many of our brothers may come to be in need because of persecution, wars, earthquakes, floods, famines, or other calamitous occurrences that are common in these critical times. (Matt. 24:7-9) On such occasions, local congregations may not have anything to share with one another, so the Governing Body coordinates the efforts of brothers elsewhere to provide what is needed. This is similar to the way Christians in Asia Minor provided food for the brothers in Judea during a time of famine. (1 Cor. 16:1-4; 2 Cor. 9:1-5) By following their example, we confirm our love for our brothers and show ourselves to be genuine disciples of Jesus Christ. ?John 13:35.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

It is one of the saddest notes in the so called Christianity of Jehovah's witnesses that charity as depicted in the Bible is virtually non-existant. Even 'among' witnesses nothing is ever done in that regard, with the notable exception of some natural disasters.

I have rarely seen even a generous and charitible spirit on a personal level. We had a house burn to the ground and lost all - the caring spirit came from those we worked with and knew outside the organization. One brother did give us a little money, but most never even noticed or commented on it to us. It seems to be part of the cult mindset. I remember some articles that dealt with disaster relief and made a big point that every box lunch had a copy of the latest Watchtower in it, so that the bros would be 'spiritually well fed' while eating physical food.

Whatever happened to the words of Jesus and Peter and James about caring for those in need. Just makes me sick to think that I thought all of that was ok for so long.....

Jeff

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Are they known to do anything charitable besides spreading the good news?

Not that I can think of.......and they are not even doing that the way Jesus did.

They also overlook the teachings of Jesus about feeding the hungry and clothing the needy as an integral part of being a Christian.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I guess J.W's need not emulate the Good Samaritan when it comes to non-Jehovah's Witnesses. The only ones in need seem to be their own. But that is not what Luke 10:29-37 teaches. They also overlook Luke 6:32-36 and Matt. 25:31-46.

• Banshee
    Banshee

The Society's attitude toward charities always bothered me! The JWs often seemed to have a sneering attitude toward "Babylon the Great's" charitable works...often saying that those religions had "rice Christians" and yet they only helped some of their own members...this selective help I rarely saw in action. I knew a few older sisters who had Special Pioneered who were completely abandoned and left destitute in their old age. My sister was looked down upon by fellow JWs for helping one of these women!I only knew a handful of kind souls who helped fellow JWs in need.

How can they read the Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37) and read about Jesus feeding crowds of people when He spoke to them and not get the point!? Time and again He was teaching by word and deed that helping others (even those who do not agree with our particular, religion, belief system, etc.) was part of being a follower of Him.

Anyway, I make a point of donating to charitable organizations now and I try my best to help individuals in need when they cross my path. And you know what? It is a joy! Much more of a joy than slaving for a cold, harsh and parasitic Governing Body that sits in its lofty Tower.

• carla
    carla

I have been looking on and off for two years of any proof they give anything to anybody! Husband keeps claiming they " send tons of food"! Yet, he is unable to provide one shred of evidence. He says, " your the one who doesn't believe it, you look". Or he will say, "we believe people need spiritual food more". I'm sure that is just so meaningful to those on deaths doorstep. carla

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

When I was a Ministerial Servant I remember sitting in on a few meetings where a member on the congregation literally begged the body of elders for any form of help... anything... any little crumb. What did they do EVERY SINGLE TIME? They told to person to go to "Caesar" for help. Never once did I ever see the elders provide one red cent in help to anyone... except for the multi-billion dollar Watchtower Society... so they could print and sell more books.

That is my experience also - they talk the talk about love and help but do not walk the walk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit