Do JWs Actually Have Less of a Divorce Rate Than Other Religions???

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Today's Witnesses might be a little more worldly, I don't know but from my perspective, divorce amongst "true Christians" is something very rare.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

According to a cencus taken among German JWs (I recall more than 140,000 responded to the JW-sponsored gallup), some 4 per cent were divorced. In a circuit assembly, the CO very candidly stated that before he could proudly state while preaching that JWs had less divorces than the general population. He said, that regrettably that is no longer the case.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Dunno. I'm divorecd from a marriage to a JW I entered whilst a JW.

Of course, the fact that you'll get re-instated, or possibly not even be df'd if you're weally weally sorry, and the fact the inocent party has a complete right to refuse a continuation of the realtionship even if the gulty party is weally weally sorry, does open up opportunities I know some Witnesses have exploited.

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

I've known a number of couples in various congregations that should not be married, they should get divorced and move on. But they will not so they remain miserable and struggle to put on a front. When I was at Bethel I knew 3 couples that got divorced, two of these, husband of couple X ran off with wife of couple Y. At the table across from me there was a recently married couple. One morning at breakfast i noticed that one eye was a lot darker than the other eye--the husband was known to be a bit short tempered.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Let's see...my brother is twice divorced, my brother-in-law is divorced, my sister SHOULD be divorced, my niece is divorced, my daughter-in-laws sister is divorced, my daughter-in-laws mom is divorced...I could think of more in our local congregations but I'm having a senior moment, or it could be brain death. All were or are JW's. Me thinks that JW's have an escalating divorce problem. HA!

Cathy L.

• Charisma
    Charisma

It is becoming more and more common even among the JWs. I do think though that the more conservative areas do still have less than others in the congregations. Also, I think there is a slightly lower divorce rate for JWs because of the BIG Brother Syndrome

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

As per my bio. Divorced after 26 from #1....seperated from #2 for 7 years.

It's obvious there are more couples getting divorced than ever before. Comparing failed JW marriages to other religions has little meaning if you take into account the stigma attached to divorce. The "only remarry in the lord clause" adds extra stress on the innocent one's decision of forgiving the mate in the case of adultry. Many are afraid of being left without support or the prospect of finding someone who will except their "excess bagage". They will try to "save" the marrige rather than divorce.

When the "light gets brighter" and "no fault" divorces and marriage outside the organization are allowed and not frowned upon.......there will be a stampede to divorce lawyers.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

There have been alot of divorces from my congo.......I am not shocked or surprised anymore when I hear of JW's divorcing.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    There are a lot of miserable JW couples that would never get a divorce.

I did while I was still in the Lie but an elder cornered me at Wally World one afternoon and told me that my divorce was unscriptural and it was an embarrassment to the congregation... and to Joe Hoba. When I told him he it was scriptural he asked, "Who is the guilty party"? I told him I wasn't talking so he stormed off after he pitched a slight scene in the Wally World Bakery Dept. I just didn't feel like arguing with an unreasonable person about how 1 Corinthians 7:15 applied in this instance. She does not believe that Jesus is the only mediator between God and men and left basically because I didn't believe the WTBTS is the mediator instead of Jesus but didn't voice my views openly for another 3-4 months.

As for divorce rates in the borg just look at the numbers of dubs compared to number of divorces and then compare the number of professed Christians compared to the number of divorces among them. I wonder how many JW children are messed up because the WT twists the scripture about 'marrying in the Lord' and JW's are so scared they may get left out so they get married to anyone who acts 'spiritually mature' (WT buzzword for toes the line, parrots the answers back to the WT conductor, goes out in FS, etc. Poor WTBTS misses the point about imitating Jesus and pass it on to the dubs). They don't get it that it doesn't mean 'marry only in the religion' and means marry someone who also puts their faith in Jesus. That's like their twisted on faith = one religion which is wrong. One faith = one faith in Jesus.

• Es
    Es

Perhaps overall they do but ive know heaps including myself that have sep and divorced.Although most of us left the truth when we were doin it tho es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit