Poor United ...

by Simon 14 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

As a City fan, I must say my heart goes out to all the poor United fans, many of them abroad and down south, who face seeing their club go to ruin now some rich American has bought it whoseems intent on wringing as much short-term profit from it as possible and offloading a heap load of debt onto it.

Oh, and not even runners-up again this season ... 20 points off the pace while Chelsea smash all the records Utd set ... that must hurt too.

Still, look on the bright side - it's brought a smile to lots of soccer fans around the country and you can always bring out half a dozen new kits next season to raise more money.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4542913.stm

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Hey...I already posted this story earlier this afternoon...

• arrowstar
  • Double Edge
    Double Edge

What is it with rich guys buying up great teams. The Los Angeles Dodgers (baseball) were bought up last year... the guy tripled the prices on all concessions as well as uping the ticket prices ... now you need to take out a bank loan to see a game with some friends.... Screw professional sports and all the greedy b*sta*ds.... I prefer to watch them on T.V. or watch the college / amateur games.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Say what you like..Manchester United are the most famous football club in the world. They operate entirely in the black too. Rumour has it that this Glazer fella has to put the club straight into debt to recoup his outlay.

Still, he's just an amateur compared to Chelsea's owner. Sorry, Chelski!

Englishman.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The news downunder is proclaiming that it's a done deal.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Still, he's just an amateur compared to Chelsea's owner. Sorry, Chelski!

LOL @ Eman.

Too true though; did you see the documentary they did on the guy? Your not telling me a man amasses that amount of fortune through pure entrepreneurship...

*thinks its best to be quiet before the black mercedes pulls into the driveway with blacked out windows*

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Say what you like..Manchester United are the most famous football club in the world.

Thank you, E-man. Like most (all?) Manchester City fans Simon prefers to bitch about United's shortcomings rather than his own club's failings. Manchester United are the most famous football club in the world due to the (usually) attractive attacking football they play. This came about long before multi-millionaires came along to grab a piece of the plc action.

As for Manchester United having followers all over England (and the world) that's only to be expected when one considers their unrivalled history. Losing a young team that would have undoubtedly conquered Europe decades ago in the Munich Air Crash is certainly a major reason why the club became so immensely popular. I've actually had two young ex-Manchester United players visit me this morning (one is still here)and my older son is a regular at Old Trafford.

Jealousy makes people come out and say some ridiculous things. As always, E-man, you are the voice of reason.

Love,

Ian

• upside/down
    upside/down

I thought this was gonna be a rant on United Airlines losing their pension fund....

Off to my kids soccer games.... my oldests team is Club United (Loveland).... what a co-inky-dink.

u/d

• Simon
    Simon

Well, he's done it - he now has over 75%

Utd's last 10 years of success has largely come on the back of going public. It has meant that the club is always up for sale to the highest bidder and Glazer has taken advantage of it. You can't have it both ways. They took the money and now must pay the price ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4550141.stm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit