Conceited Witnesses

by TheListener 12 Replies latest jw friends

• TheListener
    TheListener

Lately several of the threads on the board have dealt with some really deep spiritual and biblical topics. I love reading everyone's opinions and seeing links to even more detailed opinions. It has made me think though.

When I was a strong dub I thought I knew everything about the bible and couldn't wait to 'get into it' with a Catholic or Protestant priest. I knew the answer to every bible question and the logic behind it. Whatever I didn't know I could look up in my reasoning book for the publications index (before cd).

It's been this website that has shown me how conceited I was. I was completely fooled. I had no idea that I didn't see both sides of an issue. I thought the WT was providing me with both sides of an argument. I never even heard of a strawman argument before.

I'm embarrassed and feel really foolish as I think over a lifetime of smartass comments I've made to people at the doors and other places about how knowledgable witnesses are and how uninformed worldly people are.

I feel especially foolish because I thought I knew better. I thought I was different from the other 6 billion people in the world, that I had some secret knowledge that made me better than them. Now I know how it feels to have pride before a crash.

Did any of you ever have the same kind of feelings when you began to leave the "truth"?

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Did any of you ever have the same kind of feelings when you began to leave the "truth"?

I was worse than that... a pompous, self-righteous WT parrot.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel
    It's been this website that has shown me how conceited I was. I was completely fooled.

In my humble opinion, it is only after realizing this and humbling ourselves that JWs become xJWs. Ever notice when information is presented to JWs their pride excuses whatever the information is?

So, I figure, unless someone is willing to truely be humble and say "what a fool I was to be such a true believer" one will never leave a cult. Pride, arrogance, etc keeps people from really looking at the truth.

• vitty
    vitty

I wasnt very confident, but conceited yep. I only realized it when I hear JWs now. Not a pretty experience.

• luna2
    luna2

I've never been a very confident person, but I was so very, very sure I'd found the honest to goodness truth, that I became quite conceited too. I'd found the secret of life, doncha know! All those folks who thought I was spouting bullhockey would find out and get their comeupance (not that I truly hoped they die forever...I was banking on everybody being resurrected since the WTS didn't seem to know for sure).

It's a real embarassment to think back on now. Kind of makes me sick to my stomach. blech.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Yeah, I felt that way, too, listener. It's really mind blowing. So many areas of our lives we probably still don't have it right. I guess you never grow until you admit to yourself you still have a lot to learn.

• Jez
    Jez

Yup, that was me. Had an answer for everything. Had my "conversation stoppers" memorized perfectly. Always approached a person at the door with the premise that I was right and they were wrong. I never listened...I never had a 'conversation' with them...I preached at them.

I was wrong, there are so many people that are much wiser, much more spiritual and follow God's ways better. I gladly eat my humble pie now.

Jez

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

My sister made a comment the other day that just stopped me in my tracks, said she told the doctor not to give her kids the hepatitis vaccine as the only way they could contract the disease was sex, needles, and blood an that wasn't going to happen so what was the point. I was like, wow it must be nice to be you and be so certain that your little family is so perfect. Talk about conceited and arrogant.

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

The worst feeling in the world... Looking back on all the times during meetings that an example of a worldly person ended in the entire hall laughing about that person, and what would ultimetly be considered their cockyness...

• JBean
    JBean

OMG... so familiar! Just had a conversation which ended in yet another argument with my mom last night! She is so totally miserable and blames "Satan's system", NOT the organization. I told her that of course she's miserable... she's so wrapped up in "do's and don'ts" and worries about getting in trouble and who's watching every move of everyone else... jeez. But she states that it isn't that way at all. Right in the middle of it and so blind still. I've been "out" for a while (did the sllllooooowww fade)... and told her that my life right now was absolutely fabulous, to which she replied, "no it's not", to which I replied, "yes it is"... no, yes, no, yes... you get the picture. Anyhow... Jdubs vaccillate between dense and conceited about their lot in life. She just KNOWS it's the truth. No real rationale. (sigh). Jbean

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit