Daily reading book-don't know the formal name.

by wordlywife 27 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

OK, here's today's. If this generates enough interest I will keep going.

Saturday, May 14

I shall certainly meditate on all your activity, and with your dealings I will concern myself. - Ps. 77:12.

In a nutshell:

A heart and mind deeply concerned about the truths of God?s Word will naturally overflow with praiseworthy speech....Assemblies, conventions, ...meetings, current publications...Jehovah?s servants enjoy talking about a variety of subjects, but spiritual topics always flavor the conversations of spiritually inclined people.

Scriptures quoted: Phil. 3:16, Matt. 13:52, 1 Ki. 4:33, 1 Cor. 2:13.

Articles quoted: w9/15/03 6-8.

So here's our chance to practice Blondie's study techniques. Can you spot the manipulative language? Are there any http://www.fallacyfiles.org? Does the topic hint at the issues worrying Brooklyn? Do other translations give another slant to the meaning?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

http://tru.pjstech.com

here is a link to download the daily text onto your computer and also the ministry school

purps

• jgnat
    jgnat

Wow. A site that fell through the WT cracks! Kewl, purps.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I downloaded the package, and I see how they avoided copyright problems. They don't actually reprint WT materials, only the bible verses and watchtowers referenced.

• jgnat
    jgnat

OK, third strike and I'm out. Will this forum support a daily review of WT drivel?

Sunday, May 15

Philip the evangelizer...had four daughters, virgins, that prophesied. - Acts 21:8,9

In a nutshell:

Philip...surely set a fine example in doing the work of an evangelizer!...When Paul and Luke stayed in his home, they likely met the daughters described in today?s text. These young women evidently had been well-trained spiritually, had zeal for the ministry, and were even privileged to engage in speaking prophetically. Parental zeal for the ministry can have a fine effect on sons and daughters today, moving them to make zealous evangelizing their lifetime work.

Scriptures quoted: Acts 8:26-38, Acts 8:39, 40
    Articles quoted: w 3/15/04 4,5

So here's our chance to practice Blondie's study techniques.

• Can you spot the manipulative language?
    • Are there any http://www.fallacyfiles.org ?
    • Does the topic hint at the issues worrying Brooklyn?
    • Do other translations give another slant to the meaning?
    • What was left out between the three dots?
    • Watch for words like "likely" and "evidently". It means that Brooklyn is speculating again.

Full text:

Act 8:38-40 BBE

And he gave orders for the carriage to be stopped, and the two of them went down into the water, and Philip gave him baptism. And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord took Philip away; and the Ethiopian saw him no more, for he went on his way full of joy. But Philip came to Azotus, and went through all the towns, preaching the good news, till he came to Caesarea.

Act 21:8-9 BBE And on the day after, we went away and came to Caesarea, where we were guests in the house of Philip, the preacher, who was one of the seven. And he had four daughters, virgins, who were prophets.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Oh oh, sorry Jgnat, I started reading InSearch of CF and have not been checking up on things. Man - that book is 2" thick !
    In the nutshell: is that you paraphrasing the explanation text that follows the scripture? or is it an excerpt?

I like to watch the tone of this house, how since this latest child recruitment barrage affects us.
    Things did look like they were slacking off here - now all of a sudden there has been a new distance.
    I'm as much to blame but am not able to voice any opinions so the distance grows.
    I am so damaged now, not sure if there is any use in trying anymore.

BUT all that aside - I do have to protect my cubs, and protect my worth as a Christian or even a human!

I think the guilt inducing writings of the WT, even only 1 line a day, erodes self-esteem & speaks volumes as to how the readers react in an emergency or crisis.
    as Gary B put it in another thread - they are a slow cancer.

How does a parent feel when they are so busy putting food on the table & doing their own underlining, preparing, service, etc,
    that their children have NOT put full time pioneering at the top of their TO DO list not to mention lost their virginity.

Does a real teeanager reading this feel they have failed is some way? I would more than likely feel like there are ..."some that are called....guess I've been selected for something else...."

wp

• jgnat
    jgnat

Will Power, I agree. Finding out what our zealous loved ones (converts and kooks) are reading goes a long way to understanding how our day will go.

The first nutshell was a paraphrase, but I have switched to showing the text unadorned, with dots for irrelevant parts.

You are right, for a JW with an "unbelieving" household, articles like this make the family look woefully inadequate.

I don't think all JW's can be jerked around on a string, especially third-generation JW's. Third generation JW's seem the most normal. But for converts and kooks, their mood truly is set by whatever they have read from the Slave that day.

• jgnat
    jgnat

...and the mood from Brooklyn is decidedly dour. It could be those geriatrics are experiencing clinical depression. And where they go, the entire organization goes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit